*Speculation!* 20th ann. iMac Paris expo?

Cat

Registered
Macbidouille posted a very interesting argument on their site:
2004 is a special year for the Mac, it is its birthday!! The mac is 20 years-old!! As everybody, we were expecting a special model for that occasion, or a revolutionary product as only Apple knows to design or invent...but nothing happened on that date...and many people seems to have forgotten it...till the WWDC and Steve Jobs keynote!! During his presentation, Steve Jobs has (intentionally or not!?) given quite strong indications: while he was demoing Spotlight technology, 3 keywords have been used: iMac, Paris and birthday... So we might postulate that there will be a special iMac for the Mac's 20 years Anniversary, potentially introduced at the AppleExpo in Paris in September; and this is not a rumor, but simply deduction from indications given by Steve Jobs himself!! (it is probably quite hard to get a more reliable source than Steve Jobs himself...)
Now, the question is: why Steve Jobs has so openly given such indications?! Because, it is not Apple's politic to announce in advance what are going to be the future models. Is it the sign of a new politic from Apple regarding , roadmap for computers and products?? Or simply a game, invented by Steve Jobs, to look at the reactions of Mac rumors sites following such indications??

I find this extremely interesting: indeed where is our 20th Mac anniversary Mac? Of course this borders on a conspiracy theory, but it is could work. We've already gone through all the major Mac events this year: MWSF and WWDC. The next major event is indeed the Paris Expo in september AFAIK.

What do you think? Could we see a new iMac then and there?

hmmmm, I didn't get this 3 keywords thing. What exactly did he say or show? Didn't watch the keynote yet. If he mentioned those, it sounds very promising. Considering a recent report that IBMs G5 is also powerbook-ready, they probably found their way into the iMacs as well.

New iMac, based on the new displays, with the display being deeper to incorporate the 'computer' part into the same unit. G5. Imagine an X-Serve melded into one of the new displays then painted white and you'll be just about there.

Deeper than the stand-alone displays, but look exactly the same from the front, only white instead of aluminium.

Drives etc accessible from the side of the unit, and it's possible to switch the orientation so they can be accessible from the left or right (whichever is most convenient for you).

Of course - I am just making all this up.

I have seen the stream of the keynote and indeed Steve did say what macbidouille reports. He demo'd spotlight in several places, Finder, Addressbook, Mail and system-wide. When demo'ing Mail and Finder he used Paris and iMac IIRC and in the Addressbook he used Birthday. Of course he also used Yosemite ... Could be coincidence ... or not? :D

However, keep in mind that the iMac was last updated November 2003, and that was just a minor bump and the intro of the 20" version. Considering the average refresh cycle, that would imply that we may assume that it is quite likely that Apple will bring forth a new iMac (as opposed to a bump) on or before MWSF05.

maybe we'll see the vesa-screen plug like on the new cinema screens also on the new iMac. This way you might be able to change the screens.. Makes sense, huh?

my speculation is a 20th an. II and for mac it's still the 20th., isn't it?
so there could be a connection between apples and mac 20th birthday...

i've heard roumors about an LC pizzabox,too so what if they just mix the alu-display with an ibook-motherboard with g5, a slot in, an ipod 1'8hd and an ir or rc keyboard/mouse -> voila an uptodate stylish i'am20too ::love::

This is the very first image of the 2004 iMac.

23" display
1.6 - 2 GHz G5
Bluetooth keyboard and mouse

Attachments

• iMac2004.jpg
    iMac2004.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 105
I think the xServe and HD display idea is crazy. Would be very cool, but i think they will go back to the birth of the iMac with the original flavors. After the success of the iPod mini with different colors, why not try it with the iMac. I personally would have to buy one.

The other extreme option is:

23" screen
Bluetooth keyboard and mouse
and..
and..
and.. ?
A portable harddisk with DVI connector, G5 CPU and Bluetooth connectivity !

50' ?? I hope that thing's water proof, I don't know too many rooms with that much space. You'll have to keep it out on the lawn.

Hope it's got some pretty good anti-theft, too.

:D

I think being 50' would be a pretty good anti-theft feature in itself.

I mean, stealing it wouldn't be a very subtle operation.

Back