Speculation: Apple to buy MTV?

mi5moav

Registered
I guess this is for the 2nd page of rumor sites but when Apple and Viacom met last week what was that all about? The only thing I could get out of this is that with that nice cash hoard Apple has, they may buy MTV or VH1.

If Apple/Itunes would have a partnership with XM radio or even on the internet where people could choose/vote for their favorite songs and then have them streamed. Thus getting rid of the DJ and the fans would be the DJ and the music would be streamed. So, even as an experiment on itunes radio they could have an itunes channel and then people could vote at itunes for the their favorites and they would then be streamed heard. You could also put in comments on peoples birthday and engagments like kasey Kasem dedications. Though you could only have 20 a day or so since everyone would want to dedicate or say something. Of course they could use Bubbles or Veronica for the text to speach for a nice sexy voice.

**Some people believe that Apple could buy Viacom... this would be impossible since the sum of their parts is like 100 times the size of Apples. Some people don't realize this because their butt cracks show but you can actually purchase divisions of companies...amazing but true.

So you've read that Apple met Viacom (link?), muse that this _must_ mean Apple buys either MTV and/or VH1, go on to XM radio partnerships and then reduce all of it to some strange idea about something Apple could do without MTV, VH1 or XM radio? Nice.

There are several (thousand?) other reasons why those two companies could have met, of course. One thing that springs to mind is that both have been sued by Eminem, another could be advertising (Apple _does_ advertising on TV, right?)...

Screw MTV. Go with VH1. Their stuff is better than MTV. MTV is way too commercial. It's more about consumerism rather than music.

Somewhere in the last few weeks this forum went from being good old fashioned rumors (mildly substantiated and based on something reasonable) to being just inane nonsense. This MTV thing falls in the latter. It's not even a good April Fool's joke.

mindbend said:
Somewhere in the last few weeks this forum went from being good old fashioned rumors (mildly substantiated and based on something reasonable) to being just inane nonsense. This MTV thing falls in the latter. It's not even a good April Fool's joke.
Agreed. Why don't the mods do something to mark the title as speculation, if the original poster won't?

That's actually quite a good idea. However: Sometimes it can be difficult... This one, however, isn't. Tagged. ;-)

I love mi5moav's crazy pedictions, they crack me up every time!

This guy is just so desperate to start his wacky rumours he doesn't even take the time to make them readable.

With the loss of Hervé/Tree's posts anywhere but in the forum (does he even post there anymore?), I think mi5moav brings that atmosphere of complete, utter, unfounded nonsense back to the site... ;)

Whether that's a good thing or not has yet to be determined.

One thing's for sure -- the idiotic, wild, unfounded, off-the-wall speculation isn't funny to me anymore. Just a waste of space. I found it mildly amusing in the beginning -- I would chuckle to myself, asking myself, "Is this person for real? Do they really think something like this would happen, or are they being facetious?" I now know they're not being facetious (it's painfully obvious) -- I just haven't figured out what the hell they're thinking.

My mistake the the meetings under the umbrella tree had to do with an itunes promotion that apple and blockbuster will be running next month.
Though someone pointed out that with this new moto deal that a lot of those phones go to nextel which happens to be the sponsor of the largest sports spectacle in the world. So, in a few years people can watch quicktime clips of nascar races they've downloaded from itunes... pretty cool. What the heck would an Apple/Itunes Nascar sponsored hood logo look like?

The pain that has been brought onto my family by these comments has forced me to add more fiber to my diet.

Apple met with the RIAA. People somehow got the stupid idea that Apple was going to buy one of the big music companies.

Apple met with MTV. People somehow got the stupid idea that Apple was going to buy either MTV, VH1 or Viacom.

What the hell is it with people thinking that Apple is going to buy all these companies just because they meet with them? When the hell has Apple EVER bought ANY large conglomerate?! They haven't!

I know in our wild dreams that we all hope and wish and dream of a future where Apple owns everything and everything is bliss to operate. But that's in our dreams. Post that kind crap on the forums in your dreams, not in the real-life ones.

common sense dictates that Apple could never buy Viacom. possibly the other way around but do you realize Viacom loses/profits more in one quarter than what Apple Co is worth in its entirety? :rolleyes:

Apple may be the center of many of our universes but in reality, they're just a tiny fish in the pond compared to most other namebrand American companies.

Hehe... and if we really wanna get political and accurate, there are only a handful of companies, probably no more than 5, that own or run every other company in the United States... DuPont owns just about every material-type company (plastic manufacturers, metal manufacturers, etc.), RJ Reynolds owns just about every consumable-type company (cigarettes, foods, snacks, etc.), and the list goes on.

I wouldn't doubt it if Apple were wholly or partly owned by one of the big five.

I heard that a guy that works at Apple once maintained the PEZ candy website (http://www.pez.com). Since Apple hired this guy I'm pretty sure they're going to buy PEZ.

This would be awesome, since we'd start seeing Ives-designed PEZ dispensers - the Quicksilver PEZ, the brushed metal PEZ, and my favorite, the iPEZ!

Back