Speed Up OS X!!!! (with smoking weed)

Wow, OS X IS FLYING!
Mail in two bounces!
Ominweb in three!
The delay opening a new finder window is almost completely gone!
Menus almost as snappy as OS 9!
Nice window movement, but resizing has not improved.
Column view is much faster, opens a 500 file column instantaneously!

Could this have something to do with that fact that I am running
10.0.4? (Shh!)
Anyone else here running it?
Wow! XP is gonna die!

First:
Installed it on my Cube yesterday evening, MacOS 10.0.3, DevTool 10.0, and I got a major speed gain and NO crashed system!

Second:
I am running update_prebinding twice a week and this is NOT what made the speed gain. In fact, every update of MacOS X makes an update_prebinding...if you dislike the console, get XOptimize, it does it for you, else, type update_prebinding -verbose -root / (IIRC...verbose is not needed, but it gives you a status of how it's going on)
It helps a bit.
But this speed gain is more of a graphical speed increase. Cool!

Third: Could anyone with a little bit of Unix knowledge help me? I am using the pop up menu from my HDD in the dock quite often, like the Windows (Buuuh) start menu, but at home, I only have a ATA drive, no SCSI, and it always takes a second the FIRST TIME I open a folder over the pop up menu. The following times, it goes very fast. Is it possible to somehow preload the content of the disc at startup? I would even wait a minute at startup to get a faster response from the pop up during later use of the system (I am only restarting my Mac maybe twice a week since I am doing much video capturing and encoding, so my Mac runs 24/7 mostly

fourth: Apart from the problems at work, I can only suggest the DevTools. My I ask if the people who got a speed increase are also using a Radeon card? Maybe new Radeon drivers?

five: the bomb app is an app which should demonstrate that a crashing application won't affect the system or other apps. So it's not only a toy ;)

ulrik

I think the problem with the delayed Dock openings in the Dock itself--it doesn't preload anything, though it would be nice if it did.

-Rob

I doubt that for the following reason or behaviour:

I boot up OS X, then I open the pop-up menu of one of my harddisks in the dock. Not only does the "root" take about two or three seconds to load, every folder I open takes a few seconds. As I told, this only happens once. If I open the same pop-up menu later, it pops up very fast.

Now, to illustrate what I mean:
I boot up OS X, then I open the harddisk from the icon on my desktop. I browse through some folders. Now I open the pop up menu from the dock. The folders I already visited in the finder open fast, the others take time to load! I have no big knowledge about how OS X works deep within the kernel, but this behaviour gives me the impression that OS X some kind of creates a real time TOC during it's run, which it accesses once a harddisk access is requested (pop up menu, finder window etc.) so it would be cool of Mac OS X could create this TOC, as I call it, at boot up. I guess this isn't done to prevent the system taking up too much RAM for such stuff, but I have 1024 MB installed at the moment (I love the prices for RAM in germany at the moment ;) and I could spent a bit of it for such an option.
So after all, to me it doesn't seem like a "problem" in the dock app but in the drive routines structure of the system.

Anyway, if anyone can understand what I mean (thanx to my bad english) and hears anything about such an option, maybe a terminal command, please let me know! ;)

btw:
does sherlock indexing have anything to do with it or is this indexing purely for sherlock?

ulrik

so will installing dev tools boost my system's speed by itself or do i have to do a new update? i'm currently running 10.0.3 ...
anyone have an idea when 10.0.4 or maybe even 10.1 is coming?
thanks! :)

just install it, no update needed (or possible of your run 10.0.3)

I heard that 10.0.4 is currently seeded to the ADC seeding members. I heard something of around 14 megs of size, DVD capability...yet I heard nothing about a CD burning app (besides of iTunes)

Nobody knows when 10.1 will be released. there are different release dates floating around the net but I am quite sure that most of them are just there to attract some attention.

ulrik

mosr.com just said that 10.0.4 will be out within a matter of days.

Bur really? Who knows?
Wasn't that supposed to come out about a month ago?:)

As with the first developer package and any OS X update, all its doing is updating the prebindings. (i could explain this but im sure someone else has done it already alot better than i could). There is a simple terminal command to do this and you don't have to download the developer package. But i forgot it right now give me a few mins and ill post the command. (im at work and its time to go =) and 10.0.4 was just released) brb...

update_prebinding is the command. another one is redo_prebinding, but I noticed that even update "redos" all...at least for me.
Two options you should consider is "-verbose" so you can see what's going on at the moment and the root from where it should start. just execute it from the root with the option "-root /" and there you go. So the complete command would be

update_prebinding -verbose -root /

ulrik

not for me, I am constantly working as root ;)
just solves so many problems with access rights

but for the "non-root" rest, that's true

10.0.4 is here through software update now but I haven't seen any increases in speed. Maybe slightly faster launching times but it could be my imagination.
No DVD support either !

Installed 10.0.4 last night, and Devtools update this morning, and app launching seems faster - Omniweb launched in less than 10 bounces (that said, I relaunched it a second ago and it was back to its usual 20-odd bounces:( ). Can't say the finder feels any faster, but if it's going to speed up launch times, that's good enough for me...

The first time you install the Dev tools, it prebinds all of your applications, making them faster [the optimization step of install]. Did you simply update your dev tools? Or was this the first time you installed them?

...from the original DevTools that came with OSX. and there's a definite speed improvement, although not a consistent one. Omniweb, for example, can sometimes be as fast as 4 bounces, but sometimes can take as long as it always did (20-odd)

Weird, but at least it's faster most of the time...

Ok after skimming thru all the posts i have a quick question.... I dont have Developers tools installed anywhere on my machine that i know of. So to get speed increase i should install them off the cd that came with osX and then update that version? This will make me speedy and happy?:rolleyes:

I'm on a G3 350 with 10.0.4

Twister

I installed 10.0.1 developer tools and got omniweb in 15 bounces instead of 20, and mail in 3, then I ran X optimize and took omniweb down to 6 bounces and mail to a bounce and a half. Man it really works!!!

Originally posted by twister
Ok after skimming thru all the posts i have a quick question.... I dont have Developers tools installed anywhere on my machine that i know of. So to get speed increase i should install them off the cd that came with osX and then update that version? This will make me speedy and happy?:rolleyes:

I'm on a G3 350 with 10.0.4

Twister

From what I can tell users are just eperienceing the Optimization proccess, and you don't need to install DevTools to do that. I would just go to www.versiontracker.com, and download XOptimize, and run it as the root user, and you will mostlikely get tbe same speed improvements. If you have a lot of RAM select to use more RAM, and X runs really fast.

Originally posted by ezra

From what I can tell users are just eperienceing the Optimization proccess, and you don't need to install DevTools to do that. I would just go to www.versiontracker.com, and download XOptimize, and run it as the root user, and you will mostlikely get tbe same speed improvements. If you have a lot of RAM select to use more RAM, and X runs really fast.My system has always been optimized so it's been nice so far using X. FWIW I'll install the Dev Tools, and see if it really does anything.

I guess there must be something to this Dev Tools thing - I haven't run OSX without them since they came out in October, and I've had no complaints at all about OSX's speed.

Back