Spyware in Netscape?

habilis

Ministry of Re-Education
When I hit F9 to view all windows using exposé, a small blank white window about 1.5" square will appear that says "hidden". I can not touch or move or edit this phantom window in any way. When I click it, it takes me back to Netscape and then disappears. It apparently is part of Netscape. What I'm wondering is why is it hidden and only viewable as a window when I use the 'Show all windows' function in exposé? It sure seems like this is spyware transmitting my browsers requests to some awful data-sucking privacy-invader. What else could it be?

See screenshot for the proof:
screen.jpg

It's been in Netscape since they came out with an OS X version. I believe it also shows up in Mozilla and Mozilla-derivants as well.

I think it's for the TalkBack crash reporter, but I'm not sure. I highly doubt it's spyware. It doesn't show up on my version of Netscape, but I do remember encountering it in the past quite a few times -- what version are you using?

It exists in Firebird/fox too. My friend was worried of that being a tracker of maccentral (it's not).

If you're really bothered about spyware, check out Little Snitch (http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/). Even if you don't want to use it to block access, by turning it on then starting up your favorite programs (without issuing them any commands which make make them connect to the net on your orders, eg for netscape make sure it doesn't try and load a home page for new windows) then you can see which apps try and make network connections on their own.

Not exactly true ora. I use Little Snitch and i tell it that netscape/firefox can access port 80 (the web one) anytime and if the browser is passing stuff thu there it won't block it.

Back