ssh over internet / reverse tunneling

sduttonusa

Registered
I've been trying to set up reverse tunneling (over the internet) to my laptop. I'm able to do it on my LAN, but when I try it with someone tunneling from outside my LAN, I'm given the following message:

"Could not resolve hostname mypersonalname.dyndns.info:forwardedport: nodename nor servname provided, or not known" ("mypersonalname" and "forwardedport" are what I've setup)

For a while, I was getting a "connection refused" message due to the fact I had NetBarrier installed. So now, after disabling NetBarrier, I'm given the above message.

Any idea what the problem is?

It would help to let us know what Mac running what software and what firewall are you using.

I'm running MacOS 10.5.8. I'm forwarding external port 30001 to internal port 22. I'm behind a NAT router, and I don't think I have any firewalls enabled.

The command I'm typing for reverse tunneling is:

ssh -N -R 22548:localhost:548 -R 22590:localhost:5900 username@HOME.dynamic.dns.name:30001 &

When on my home LAN, I replace the dyndns address with my LAN address and I can both mount the other Mac's files and screen share with no problem.

Back