ssh tunneling and classic

lipbone

Registered
I found an old thread (2001) that said that OS X doesn't open its ports to classic. That seems wrong, but I'm not sure. Is there something I need to enable in classic or some command I can use in terminal to bridge the gap?

Are you intending to run a service in Classic? If so, what is the service you want to run?

I have a terminal-like client I want to use in classic. For specific reasons, I have to use this client and not any OS X native variant. Basically I want to tunnel a remote ip to my localhost in OS X, then sign on to my localhost. I'm open to using any port available, but I'd prefer to keep it high so it doesn't ride with the system. I'm using language that I've heard, but don't really know UNIX well enough to be sure I'm wording things correctly.

I am able to use MacSSH, but if I could have OS X handle the tunnel natively I'd prefer it.

Simple!

As long as you have ssh access somewhere on the remote computer's network.

I don't know how this will help with classic, but ssh tunneling is just crazy useful anyway :p

Lets say I have some linksys router at a remote location, and I need to edit some paramater on the router's setup page. Here is what I would do from home, on my laptop with osx:

Code:
$ ssh -L8000:192.168.1.1:80 satcom.net

This shell you in to the host 'satcom.net' and forward 192.168.1.1, port 80, to: localhost:8000.

So, I would then just point my web browser at http://localhost:8000/

hrm, this should be a HOWTO....

Note that you can use -R to reverse the direction (eg, allow a remote administrator access to your network by shelling to their network).

The only way this will work with classic, is if mac os x firewalls off classic, so that the localhost can access the services (just, no remote hosts). I dunno, I don't keep a classic install anymore.

Lemme know if this is helpful!

Back