ssh

phaedo5

Registered
I'm trying to ssh into my home mac (10.5) from the outside world, generally other macs. I'm on a home network behind a router. When I try to ssh in from anywhere other than my home computer, it just sits there and never returns anything.

I have port 22 being forwarded to the appropriate computer. I have remote login enabled in the system preferences. I don't really know the next move in troubleshooting this issue. I'm new to the ssh world, sort of.

I have a cable modem. I know that the IP could change, but I have the correct one at the moment.

Any help would be great.

Since you can SSH into the computer from within the network but can't outside of your home network, I would first suspect the port forwarding as the culprit.

Try putting your computer in the DMZ of your router and see if you can SSH into it then from the outside. If so, take it out of the DMZ and re-set-up your port forwarding. More than likely there is something just slightly incorrect with the port forwarding that's preventing you from getting in.

I tried the DMZ thing. Didn't work. When I forward port 22 to my 10.4 Powerbook, I can ssh into it remotely. But then I forward it back to my 10.5 Mac Pro, I get nothing.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

My firewall preference pane has the option to allow all incoming connections selected. That's as good as off right? Or no?

FINALLY figured it out. My machine was getting the internal address of 192.168.1.100. When I changed that, I can now ssh into my machine. I'm more thrilled than I should be about it.

Anyone know why the 100 address would not work? Is there something reserved about that?

Back