Start me up! Twice?

Buzzy

Registered
I'm always amazed by the wide variety of 'wierd' problems you can get with computers. Anyway here's my latest.

I'm increasingly having to start my computer twice before the monitor turns on. I start the computer as normal by pushing the front button, but the display never turns on. I then push & hold the front button on the computer until the computer shuts down. I start up the computer again and everything is fine, the display starts up as normal. This started happening maybe a month ago very rarely, but now it's become quite common. My setup is as follows

PowerPC G5
Dual 2 GHz
512 MB DDR SDRAM
Mac OS X 10.4.2

My monitor is a NEC MultiSync 95.
19" CRT monitor. (VGA)

Any ideas about this?

That's strange and I can't say what's causing it (other than you may be using an adaptor to connect it and that may not be sending the correct signal to the monitor), but I can recommend one thing: don't use the power button to turn off the computer.

I understand it's probably necessary in this situation, but doing so can severely corrupt your OS X install, requiring a re-install. OS X has got a bunch of critical startup and shutdown routines that shouldn't be interrupted, as interrupting them can wreak havoc on your install.

Can you try turning off the monitor, then turning it back on instead of the computer? Is putting the computer into sleep mode rather than shutting it all the way off an option?

Thanks for your reply.

This set up with the adaptor worked fine ever since I purchased this computer a few months ago, so I'm writing off the adaptor as being the problem.
I do hate the idea of shutting down with the power button, but is there any other option? There are no quick key shortcuts for 'Restart...' or 'Shutdown...' and with the display not working, I see nothing.
Maybe I should ask 'can a shortcut of some kind be assigned to those keys?'
Any help with this problem would be appreciated before I resort to spending more money on a new monitor... which still may not solve the problem.

.The Buzz...

Back