Start up problems

platz

Registered
A few days ago my iBook decided that it wouldn't sleep with the lid closed. Someone mentioned that resetting the nvram could solve the problem, so at the open firmware prompt I reset-nvram and reset-all as was described. The computer immediately restarted (without mac-boot) and became stuck on the grey apple screen without a spinning wheel. I cannot enter single-user-mode to run fsck, but I have repaired the permissions, zapped the PRAM, reset the PM, etc. I will add that I can get the start-up to continue if I hold the option key at the start tone and manually select the boot volume on the option page. Even after shut-down, the computer unfailingly gets stuck on the grey apple screen every time. Thanks for your help. I'm running OS X 10.2.8 on a Dual USB 500.

"reset-all" is supposed to restart the computer -- no problem there.

Have you booted from the OS X Install CD and tried repairing the disk? Perhaps somewhere along the line some pre-existing problem with the disk manifested itself into not being able to boot. Repairing the disk would tell you if a problem existed or not.

Also, try resetting the Startup Disk preference to your hard drive -- if the computer boots by manually selecting the volume, it's possible that the Startup Disk preference isn't set correctly.

That's fantastic – the Startup Disk preference did need to be reset! The machine still doesn't sleep with the lid closed, but at least I'm not moving backwards with my problem solving. Thanks again!

Back