Startup Disk/ Invalid Keylength (PLEASE)

cleantone

Registered
Problem...

Last Sept my internal HD crapped out. I had been using OS9.2.2 for audio applications. I got a new Hitatchi Travelstar drive and had a mac store instal it. Since I wanted to have the option to boot in OS9 I had them instal that as well as the OSX. I upgraded my audio applcations for OSX so I never reverted back to OS9.

I was having issues now and then when recording. I tried all sortd of things to resolve. It was mostly when I was doing big projects with a lot of strain on my machine. I finally decided that my 800mhz 1GIG ram, 7200rpm setup just plain runs better in OS9.

Last night I had a gig where I REALLY didn't want any issues. I decided to test OS9. I booted in OS9. Not running in classic because the software doesn't work that way. I ran tests yesterday and it seemed fine. My gig went fine.

The problem came when I wanted to revert back to OSX.3.9 for my normal use. I went to the apple menu, control panel, startup disk and then an error popped up.

The disk "Macintosh HD" appears to be damaged. Use a disk repair utility to repair the disk.

So it doesn't show the selection for OSX for rebooting. Now I'm STUCK in OS9. I don't know if it is damaged sectors or what. I want to this my new hard drive if fine. I ran the OS9 "disk first aid" and it found:

Problem: Invalid Keylength, 4, 2493

Then states that Disk First Aid cannot repair this.

I have tech tools but it is in OSX and I cannot boot in OSX. I foolishly do not have a clone on an external hard drive. The computer came with OSX.2.1 I think. So the only disks I have are for that.

I was able to copy all of my important files (apps, docs, music, movies, librabry, etc) to external drives. I did this before attempting the First Aid.

So now I'm stuck. I was REALLY happy with the performance I got in my audio app recording 10 tracks of high resolution audio for long periods without signs of stress. I'd LOVE to be able to use OS9 for recording and OSX for everything else.

I need a solution. Again, I really don't think it is my drive. I want to assume it is something that happened on installation. OS9 boots fine. I just doesn't seem to "see" the OSX to boot. There is not stalling, clicking, or error message on startup.

Can anyone advise what can be done to get me back on OSX so I can try Tech Tools or Diskwarrior to check my drive.

Will my OSX.2 disk that came with my machine do this? When I had the shop install my new HD back in September they installed OSX.3.9 but I don't have a disk for OSX.3.9.

Disk Utility is a part of the OS right? In the utilities folder?? I'm somewhat novice if you couldn't tell. You do think that this will help with the repair?

Does anyone agree that an improper instal might have something to do with the fact that the startup disk doesn't "see" OSX for rebooting? It was the first time I went into OS9. I'd like to know because I was very happy with the performance of my audio app for recording last night. After a couple of hours it was still screaming right along. In OSX is would have been boggy and have needed to stop and restart from time to time.

Can anyone please address this:

Does anyone agree that an improper instal might have something to do with the fact that the startup disk doesn't "see" OSX for rebooting? It was the first time I went into OS9.

Back