Startup Problem

tg_barros

Registered
I have a Problem.
When i try to turn on my g4, the system don´t start up.
In the screen appears the box saying that the system is starting( loading preferences,etc), but when the system finish loading (preferences, etc), the system stop working, and it stays always like this.
I already try boot from the cd pressing the C Key in startup, but it did´nt work.
I also have try boot in safe mode but it wont start, just like when i try to boot from the cd and when i try to inicializate normaly.

I hope that someone could help me please.

'... my g4, the system don´t start up. ... when the system finish loading (preferences, etc), the system stop working, and it stays always like this.' - is the 'Desktop' present?

Unknown information:
G4 Mac model
MacOS X version [10.2.x - Jaguar, 10.3.x - Panther, 10.4.x - Tiger; please also specify the 'x' value - such as 10.3.9, etc.]

'I already try boot from the CD pressing the C Key in startup, but it did not work.' - what 'CD'?; and, did you try pressing the '<option>' key?

'I also have try boot in safe mode but it wont start' - what key(s) did you have pressed, to attempt a 'Safe' mode boot? Did you try 'Single User' mode?

'... just like when i try to boot from the cd and when i try to inicializate normaly.' - ?

10.4.x - Tiger
The OS 10.4.x - Tiger DVD
I already try boot in safe mode, single user, and from the OS 10.4.x - Tiger DVD.l
In all this cases, the system dont start.
Any ideas?

When my G4 (Tiger 10.4.3) boots up it has a blue blank screen. Tried all the different start ups but nothing works.

Can anyone help me - I HAVE A DEADLINE TODAY!!!!

If you need help, please be VERY specific about what is happening, what kind of system you have (there are MANY models of "G4" -- be specific), and outline all the procedures you've tried (saying "all the differet start ups" isn't adequate).

Have you booted from the OS X Install CD/DVD and repaired your startup disk? Also, try deleting the file "loginwindow.plist" in ~/Library/Preferences by starting up in single-user mode. Beyond that, there's not much more we can do to help until you elaborate on the situation.

I've got a G4 mirror door desktop, the last G4 which runs both systems 9 & X. system is Tiger 10.4.3 which has been running fine until today with no obvious problems.
I've tried holding down the following keys

Startup Keystroke Description
Press X during startup Force Mac OS X startup
Press Option-Command-Shift-Delete
during startup Bypass primary startup volume and seek a different startup volume (such as a CD or external disk)
Press T during startup Start up in FireWire Target Disk mode
Press Shift during startup start up in Safe Boot mode and temporarily disable login items and non-essential kernel extension files (Mac OS X 10.2 and later)
Press Command-V during startup Start up in Verbose mode.
Press Command-S during startup Start up in Single-User mode (command line)

I can't get to a stage where I can actually put a disk in so I can't start from the disk.

Basically, the machine boots up shows system osx loading then proceeds to the blue blank screen where I can't do anything?

Have you seen this problem before?

Try holding down the mouse button as you turn on the computer -- keep it held down as the computer tries to boot, and the CD drive should open, allowing you to insert a Mac OS X Install CD/DVD. You can then reboot and boot from the CD/DVD by holding 'c' down until the computer boots from the CD/DVD. Then, run a repair disk function from "Disk Utility" (in the "Installer" menu when you're asked to select a language to install).

When booting up it sits forever on the apple screen with the clock like symbol and then goes straight to the blue screen takes forever again then shows the OSX box saying Starting Mac OS X this has now shown for about 15 minutes with the progress bar full!

Would reloading the system be of any use?

Your urgent assistance would be greatly appreciated. Cheers billi

I'd say that's the next step, yeah. You do have a backup of your important files etc.?

Reloaded the system and it appears to be working, a little slow but working none the less!!

Thank you to everyone, your assistance has been greatly appreciated.

Regards. billi.

Back