Startup probs, lost drive

easterhay

little green rosetta
iMac G5 Tiger 10.4.11 froze during a video stored on internal HDD and would not respond to force quits and force restarts.

[cue derision] in a fit of pique I unplugged the power, figuring the machine had survived power cuts before.[/cue derision]

It did not. Survive, I mean. Now getting gray screen at startup, eventually leading to alternating smiley finder / alarming question mark.

Attempts to boot from disk and use Disk Utility to unbugger machine show volumes for Startup Disk & My Book external HDD, but no HDD.

Oh, and I've just eaten a mouldy peanut, so all bad.

I'm guessing the HDD is nuked. Any ideas?

Thanks folks,

Nick

Sorry for the late reply, I'm out and about. thanks for the response, I'm looking into ways to rescue my data, most backed up, but lots of really important new stuff to retrieve, of course.

Can anyone point me to a list of suitable HDDs for the aforementioned mac?

3.5-inch, SATA HD.
Whatever capacity that you want.
SATA drives can be purchased with anywhere from 160GB to 2TB capacity.
If your iMac has the built-in camera, then it's challenging to replace the hard drive. If there is no camera, then you can replace in about 5 minutes.
If you can't see the drive in Disk Utility, then I will guess that you will not have much luck retrieving any data, unless you are ready to spend a lot of money with a data recovery service.

Great, no built in camera, so that's some good news.

Will try a data recovery thing, getting a quote at least. People down these 'ere parts are quite wily, so may find a back street practitioner (ooer).

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Sorry for the tardy bump on this, but i'm just getting round to buying (no funds, sadly).

Can I use SATA 2 or 3 as well?

Thanks in advance

I also encountered the same problem
6.gif

Yes, SATA-II (which is 3Gbit/s) drives will work fine in your iMac G5.
There is no limitation on capacity - so you could go up to 2 TB, if you have a need...

Back