Static on iTunes CD's

kadampa

Registered
B & W G3, 10.3.5, and whenever I use iTunes to burn a CD, I get static popping throughout. Oddly, using Toast under System 9 does not have this problem, but that version of Toast won't recognize or support the .wav files I'm trying to burn. Burner is SCSI, Yamaha. Any help would be appreciated.

kadampa said:
B & W G3, 10.3.5, and whenever I use iTunes to burn a CD, I get static popping throughout. Oddly, using Toast under System 9 does not have this problem, but that version of Toast won't recognize or support the .wav files I'm trying to burn. Burner is SCSI, Yamaha. Any help would be appreciated.

Popping is usually a buffering problem, but I've only seen that in the recording phase of a professional recording session using external sound cards/boards (and only on a Windows machine). I would recommend reducing the burn rate and trying again. If that doesn't work, try converting the files to acc before burning. It could be a problem with the way iTunes burns .wav files. You could also try a different burner and/or different cds. Try some Sony cds. Those are the best.

I assume you've determined for certain that the popping isn't in the actual wav files to start with?

I also assume you're not doing any transforming of the wav files to increase loudness. If you are, then the problem could be digital clipping. Do you hear more noise in louder passages?

Thanks to each of you. The popping occurs with audio files from other CD's, when I've tried to use iTunes to burn a copy, so it does not seem to be a .wav issue. I have tried a slower recording speed, to no avail, and am not altering the .wav files in any way. The files play fine (no popping, clipping, etc.), but just won't record properly through iTunes.

I think Brian is onto something. First thing is to check out the iTunes Preference file and look at the Import AND also try lowering the sound on iTunes to only three quarters and then try the burn. Also, is the burner internal or external (USB or Firewire)? You might want to check out to see if there was been a patch/firmware or hack ( for OS X) for the brand burner.

Have tried all suggestions, checking on latest driver for SCSI card, and even some settings Apple recommends for recording DTS. (Turn off equalizer, turn None for Volume Adjustment in Options of Get Info for file, turn off Crossfade Playback and Sound Enhancer). Any other ideas out there? Please.

Thank you. But no reports. I really appreciate the suggestion. Even though the problem does not happen under System 9 (but Toast for 9 doesn't recognize the .wav files I want to burn), I guess the next step is to try a USB or Firewire burner.

I don't know why Toast doesn't recognize them - older version perhaps. I was trying to burn wav's having converted them from shn format. AIFF was a conversion option, but new to this effort, all the discussion I saw was about wav's - a PC world? Should see if the System 9 Toast recognizes AIFF's, then.
Thanks you.

aiff is certainly the native option; any mac software, especially classic stuff, should deal with them better than wav's

going from one unsupported format to a sort of supported but really only in a legacy sense one doesnt sound like a recipe for success in any case though, especially when youre doing it all on pre osx hardware, good luck.

I appreciate your help. I think it just must be a problem with OSX and this SCSI card (adaptec 2906). After alot of grief, I decided it must be time to upgrade some hardware, so I solved the problem by getting a Firewire CD, and now DVD, burner. Then I was flummaxed by why iTunes would not recognize the external burner, just the old SCSI one (no pull down menu or evident option in Preferences/Burn), but Toast 6 is working fine with the new burner ...
Thanks again.

Back