Steve calls father who's son died over an iPod

wouldn't do the hard disk much good.

no, no, no. not funny, this is a serious matter.

fjdouse said:
This is absolutely true, things are reported more, the world is a smaller place and perhaps we are more concerned about stamping such behaviour out, but never think things were better in the past they were not. Of course this is no comfort to anyone who looses a loved one in such a manner.

Yeah, in the olden days, teachers and policemen used to abuse children. Ok, they still do, but what I mean is that they were allowed to in those days (in fact, it was actively encouraged).

Well, I think teachers and policemen SHOULD be allowed to give kids a clip around the ear, it may teach them a bit of respect. But that's another debate for another time ;-)

I've got an idea.

Someone 'should' create a "how to behave in society" podcast.
(And make it a mandatory download and listening material to all teens under 18 years of age.)

The iPod could become the ulimate tool in behaviour modification...

Just in case people get the wrong idea...

My previous two posts were a 'natural' light-hearted reaction to what is a deadly serious topic. Please don't get me wrong. It's refreshing that Steve Jobs took the initiative to "make that call" - and I highly commend him for doing so. Most other companies (especially the CEO's) wouldn't bat an eyelid in this guy's direction - and would have a nasty team of lawyers on his doorstep if he demanded otherwise.

But as it's been said... these things happen and it is (unfortunately) the world we live in - iPod or no iPod. Now please excuse me, armed with my trusty iPod, I'm going to go and get my lunch money back...

Shookster said:
Yeah, in the olden days, teachers and policemen used to abuse children. Ok, they still do, but what I mean is that they were allowed to in those days (in fact, it was actively encouraged).

It wasn't called abuse then. It was called punishment. And when the teacher clipped the 'student' and went home to tell mom and dad, they sided with the teacher and clipped the kid for getting clipped in the first place.

The difference then was that parents took an active roll in discipline {and education} and instilled respect for all adults. Now, teachers are lucky to have supportive parents.

Indeed, now here in the UK we're banned from smacking kids. When I see some of the behaviour of kids around here, I dread to think how they will grow up.

fjdouse said:
Indeed, now here in the UK we're banned from smacking kids. When I see some of the behaviour of kids around here, I dread to think how they will grow up.

That is exactly why I (the old man i am now) think kids are just a little over confident in public. What i mean is something I see on the street and on internet boards. There seems to be a disproportional number of older teenagers today that seem to think the world owes them EVERYTHING they want. Believe when I say not all kids are like that today. I do think there is now two different kind of cultures (I have lived in three countries and seen it at every country) between kids that grow up in the suburbs and the kids that live/grew up "in the country side".

yeah, the worst usually come from single parent families, whose mother works full time, and got pregnant too early in life (i'm obviously generalising). there's just no parenting. my mother and father are still married, and i was smacked (god, was i smacked), but i was always given a choice ("stop [ ] or you will get a smack", whispered calmly into my ear....) and i think that taught my infant brain cause and causality. do something wrong: get punished.
these ASBO-harvesters don't seem to have learned that lesson, and to be honest, it's 'do something wrong, and no one will do anything'. the lawsuit culture has got to the point where a policeman smacking a delinquent child finds himself in court for assault on a minor. disgraceful.

the shouts of "what the fook are you lookin at, you can't do nuffin" will join me to the grave.

I think society is becoming too 'youth' centered, in many ways. I could write endlessly about this but I really am of the opinion that children should be seen but not heard as the saying goes and believe in the maxim spare the rod, spoil the child.

And in a week when I've had a youth litterally do a sh1t on our property, I'm of the opinion I should be allowed to beat the blighter to an inch of his life if I catch him.

My Dad was able to discipline me, there was a leather belt in the cupboard - never used, I was never abused, but the threat of discipline was there. My sisters grew up in the 'Childline' era, their attitude to everything was 'touch me, I'll call childline'.

"what the fook are you lookin at, you can't do nuffin" is something I hear too often, it's swings and roundabouts, we'll eventually get sick of it and toughen things up again. In the meantime we're raising louts who we actually hope will look after our interests when we get old!

RGrphc2 said:
Bravo Steve, if anything he should payroll a search to find the kids who killed the boy for his iPod.

Doesn't need to.. the person is already being held for 2nd Degree Murder without bail. RTA, please. ;)

fjdouse said:
I think society is becoming too 'youth' centered, in many ways. I could write endlessly about this but I really am of the opinion that children should be seen but not heard as the saying goes and believe in the maxim spare the rod, spoil the child.

I am kind of in the middle. I am from a family where my parents took a different approach: proportioned response. The more you consistently got out of line, or the further out of line you got, the more harsh the response was. So it wasn't always a consistent response (and in our case it rarely got escalated to the point of physical punishment), but it still had a worthwhile effect. It wasn't like: say a cross word and get mouth washed out with soap or a spanking... that only came up if you tried to get physical yourself. Personally, I don't agree with the 'seen but not heard' mentality, as I think it encourages a sort of zombie-like apathy in society members. What really needs to be done is proper parenting, which includes reasonable punishments, and an encouragement of respectful, constructive, participation and injection of ideas with the family. I honestly feel that I would /not/ be reaching my potential if I was required to bend to the will of my parents. But this is just me, and I only recently moved out after attending a college and getting a job.

Back