still no aussie store

sirstaunch

Registered
:(

anyone with information why there's been no Australian iTunes Music Store launch yet, expected it in the iTunes 4.9 release, but no. Would it be an issue with bigpond music download?

Probably not really an issue with Bigpond, as such. At this stage, it looks like Apple has not yet been able to finalise an arrangement with ARIA (the Australian Record Industry Association) for one reason or another. They were pretty confident in March that the AU iTunes store was just around the corner, which leads me to suspect that the only real hassles are purely legal and bureaucratic.

Agreed.
Australia of all countries should have got an iTunes store by now...!
I guess the small population combined with ARIA's 'bureaucratic' red tape makes it not a high priority for Apple. Come on Aussie (itunes), Come on, Come on...

Yeah here 'down under' should have an ITMS really soon since there are soo many iTunes and Macintosh users on the rise in Australia. Personally Bigpond music sucks, im a bigpond/telstra internet user and the billing system sounds too complicated because you have to add it to your monthly balance or something. Also it only works on Windows thats another downside as well as the selection of music is very minute compared to the vast amount of artists on iTunes. Come on Apple, we come from the land down under - you know the rest of the song :rolleyes:

I would easily purchase stuff off the iTunes Music Store...if it was here! We've waited so long, we're like one of the last ones to get it. Oh well, P2P until it arrives.

Yeah its no doubt just red-tape. It will be a really cool service once its available.

Damm aria..

I love music, but I hate the record companies. :(

The thing that really ticks me off is that Apple is having a big giveaway, leading into the selling of their 500,000,000 song and Australians can't take part, because we don't even have a #@$$! store yet!

Kap

Its a shame apple australia is so hard to get in contact with.

Has someone asked them what the score is?

I think the main problem to do with international stores (other than us) is to keep the price a song the same internationaly. And i'd say that would be hard because of conversion exchange rates get my drift ?

I think there is no Aussie store yet do to an Australia major music label holding out still.

smithy said:
I think the main problem to do with international stores (other than us) is to keep the price a song the same internationaly. And i'd say that would be hard because of conversion exchange rates get my drift ?

They don't though. UK songs are more expensive than European ones because of other factors such as corporate taxation, minimum wages, labour legislation, etc. It's a lot more complicated than just exchange rates.

symphonix said:
Probably not really an issue with Bigpond, as such. At this stage, it looks like Apple has not yet been able to finalise an arrangement with ARIA (the Australian Record Industry Association) for one reason or another. They were pretty confident in March that the AU iTunes store was just around the corner, which leads me to suspect that the only real hassles are purely legal and bureaucratic.

Yeah buereacratic!! And who is telstra bigpond still owned by? The Australian government. iTMS will effect bigpond's growth in music downloads, etc. The Australian government would'nt want that to happen especially when they are considdering the full public sale of the company (telstra).

Back