Strange behavior of OS 10.2.6

b1hgaa88

Registered
A number of things are happening as follows:

1) When I boot up in single user mode I get a long string of dialog telling me that "Specific family matching failed". Can someone explain to me what this means? It may be related to a new Maxtor external HD that I have just installed but I am not sure (the drive seems to work O.K. though).

2.) When I boot up and watch the progress bar in the blue screen progress halts for about 4 minutes while "Waiting for local disks". What does this mean? Is this related to the "family matching" problem or what?

3) When I turn on Norton AutoProtect my whole screen goes grey and I get the message (in 4 languages) that "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button or press the restart button."

Other than this my apps seem to run O.K. when I finally get to the finder window.

I have run DiskWarrior 3 but the above anomalies/problems all persist.

Does anyone have an idea what this is all about, and what I can do about it. I would especially like to turn on AutoProtect since I had an unfortunate run in with a virus recently (though this was cleared up so I doubt it is the source of the problem).

Thanks

(I am running OS 10.2.6 on a slot-loading iMac (350 MHz).)

Is that new external drive a USB connection, or Firewire?
You don't have to leave that drive connected, if there's a problem with the drive causing a long boot, then disconnect it before booting, plug back in to your system when you get to the desktop. If that is the only issue, then booting should be normal. If the long boot continues without the external attached, then other troubleshooting can be done, easiest place to start is repairing permissions through the Disk Utility. Might be a good plan also to run a program that will clean out your system caches (such as OnyX, or Maintain1, either are available at versiontracker.com )

Thanks DeltaMac. Well, it's a USB 1.1 connection. My iMac doesn't have Firewire so I am using the drive until I get myself a new Mac. I will try your suggestion before my next reboot and see what happens. I've already tried cleaning out my caches with Cocktail without result.

What happens if you unplug the USB HD and then connect it AFTER the Finder is ready-set-go!? Let us know what gives...

Anyways, try to set the jumper on the HD in CS (Cable Select) or S (Slave mode) and not Master or Master/Single!

Did I welcome you here? ;)

Hulkaros, this is a USB drive, jumper selections are for connecting through an IDE bus, not applicable here. (USB bus isn't interested in Master or Slave, and those other personal relationships which shall not be mentioned :) )

Yes, I know the theoretical part of it... But you would be surprised how many times changing jumpers saved me from trouble from el cheapo USB boxes here in Greece with multiple hard disk brands used in whatever from Wintel/Amd and Apple ;)

Originally posted by b1hgaa88

3) When I turn on Norton AutoProtect my whole screen goes grey and I get the message (in 4 languages) that "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button or press the restart button."

well, this sounds like a kernel panic.
and i had this several times after installing norton utillities.
i decided to remove the whole norton package. And the panics were gone (ok.. sometimes still).
although i get a (norton) message after every system upgrade. So i guess there's some norton stuff left

Back