Strange black box around everything

Parke

Registered
Ok, this one has me a little confused. One of my computers E mac G4 10.4.3 has this problem wherein any selected item has a black box around it. Moreover, sections of text will get this when the mouse is nearb too, even if the text is not selectable. Here is a screen shot to illustrate what I am talking about.
Interestingly it seems to only do this in the student account

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

Someone turned it on in System Preferences->Universal Access pane. You have to turn the setting off.

Lt Major Burns said:
now lock the student meddlers out of system preferences!

The funny thing is: That they are. (or at least I thought so), When I tried to "get into" sys prefs through their accounts I couldn't so I must be missing something or other...

You can restrict their access through the Admin's accounts pane in System Preferences.

Select the Student's account.

Under the Parental Controls tab, place a check next to "Finder & System" and click Configure next to it.

From there, you can put all KINDS of crazy restrictions on your users!

I guess the thing is that these are all Multimedia machines with tons of software... I had just missed restricting that one. Mostly because I thought that if you x out Sys Prefs that Voiceover stuff would follow (because its related). However you have to choose that one too.

Also keep in mind that designers most often turn VoiceOver on by accidently using the wrong keyboard shortcut. All it takes is hitting Cmnd+F5 to turn it on/off.

Back