Strange Cursor Behaviour

vald

Registered
I noticed a strange behaviour of mouse cursor - it quite frequently does not change its shape. For example when I'm in Terminal application and I move my cursor out of the Terminal window the cursor is still in the shape of "text selection". But sometimes it properly changes it shape to arrow. The same applies for Safari and other apps - its rather random, sometimes it changes, sometimes not, sometimes I have bad cursor for a while, and then it suddenly (after some moving&clicking) changes its shape to proper one. I have a USB Logitech mouse, but I don't think its mouse-related problem? Maybe something with focus on applications, or general window management problem?
Its a bit frustrating ;)
Maybe someone already had such problem? I tried to search but haven't found this specified problem. Thanks for any help.

used to do the same when moving from the search box in iTunes, you'd have to go back into the searchbox to remind it what cursor it should be.

shoddy.

i'm buying a dell today because i'm that pi**ed off.

Is this errorl present in all mac products?

I have Tiger 10.4.3 on a 12" iBook G4. Firefox is installed... I'm not sure but it might have something to do with it.

I have the same behavior occasionally. Sometimes it takes a simple click somewhere to remind the system to switch the cursor style.

I've noticed it with Mozilla, but that's happened not only on the Mac side for me.

As for system-wide, it's happened only a few times, not enough to make me want to buy a Windows PC though... ;)

This is going to sound stupid... But how do I ask mac about it?

I know there's an 800 number, but is that the only way?

This is realllly common on my computer. In the dashboard it's especially noticable. Every time I go in, all I have to is spin the mouse around a while, and it inevitably changes to either the pointer, the hand, or the text select tool and stays that way for a while.... It's got a mind of it's own.

Man though, I hope we just got bad apples, because that really *IS* shoddy if it's widespread.

Joseph Taylor said:
Is this errorl present in all mac products?

I have Tiger 10.4.3 on a 12" iBook G4. Firefox is installed... I'm not sure but it might have something to do with it.

I do NOT have this problem on either my Rev A. Dual 1.8 G5 or my old 4 year old TiBook. You might want to look at the way you load programs, the kind of programs you have. run a good disk utility like Alsoft's DiskWarrior. Also remember your OS X preventative maintenance with cron and Disk Utility.

Note though, I don't have Firefox or Mozilla, I use Camino.

I called Apple support, and the guy I spoke to managed to replicate the glitch on whatever machine he was using (I told him to wave the mouse over the calendar widget)

I have tried a permission repair... I have tried creating a new user. I have tried to archive/reinstall.

I will now try Disk Warrior and I'll look into cron... Maybe there's something else on Disk Utility I can try.

Maybe you have the glitch, but it's not noticable because your machine is powerful. Or maybe I have a bad apple (crossing my fingers that that's not the case).

So - is there any clue why does it happen so often for so many people? Actually for me it happens very randomly. I didn't notice any improvement after many reboots, upgrades and so on :-/
Has anyone of you submitted this as a bug/ticket yet?

I really can ignore it when it occurs rarely, but sometimes it looks that the cursor-changing 'engine' is totally messed up and the cursor does not have the proper shape 90% of the time :( or needs heavy moving around to change its shape to a proper one (just to return to some strange and improper shape few seconds later :)

Best regards,
v.

Well... I'm not sure it happens for too many people, since after googling it for an hour this topic was all I could find on the subject...

I might try a clean reinstall--it's gotten just that annoying. If that doesn't work... Bah.

Hasn't happened to me so far. The only erratic mouse movement I've had was due to the striped mouse mat I used to have which was confusing the optical sensors somehow, solved that by buying a special optical mouse mat.

mw84 said:
Hasn't happened to me so far. The only erratic mouse movement I've had was due to the striped mouse mat I used to have which was confusing the optical sensors somehow, solved that by buying a special optical mouse mat.

This isn't a hardware problem... Or at least I hope not.

It's a strange sort of... nonchalance the system has towards what cursor to be using. Sometimes the cursor shows up as a hand, other times as a pointer, yet other times as an i-beam.... But rarely at the right time, or with even marginal consistence.

Back