Strange why apple records audio in quicktime in .mov, conversion?

glapher

Registered
Strange how apple chooses the .mov format to encode audio in quicktime, I ve captured a few radio talks and I can't find a way to convert them to .m4a....:hmm:

Even the great xld can't do it...

well, the only options are iphone and it save it as an .m4v, thanks btw, appreciate it.

But the point is why are audio recordings saved as movies? Because I d like to add them to itunes but not as movies. Isn't it strange behaviour by apple, that and the fact that it won't allow to specify bit rates....

update, tried it, still the output is ludicrously large, for a file of about two hours, could be less, it's about 2gb...woooowwww...

I hope I am not belabouring the point here but it really is a poor implementation the voice recording feature. Since itunes is destined to play audio files as per the de facto standards on os x, it makes little sense for this to be in a .mov container. I understand that it's the usual output of quicktime but it doesn't integrate well with the rest of the os, so either the rest of the os and itunes have to change or the quicktime extension. Guess what I think should change, lol.

Also I am disappointed that you cannot set specific bitrates just high and max settings, all this customization exists for itunes, why not quicktime? Because as is you have to, and that's what I am going to do in the future, go with garage band, just for recording a simple line in or soundcard audio from the mac....tstststs...

As an aside may I ask what the difference between .m4v and .mov is (and mp4), not the rudimentary stuff - I am aware of this, but why doesn't apple just do away with dual formats for quicktime and itunes to just go with one file type for movies and one for audio (or class of file types). I see little point in the existence of .mov anymore, does anyone else agree?

Back