streaming media performance

billpicle

Registered
i just bought my first mac and was wondering why my streaming media is sooo slow. flash loads slowly, quicktime videos, music isnt soo bad, but mainly video or visual stuff. i have a 1ghz powerbook g4 with the radeon 9600. also is there anyway to tweak it so it goes faster. ohh and any browser i use is the same way, including itunes. could it be the firewall or what and if it is how do i disable. thanks in advance for any help.

It's not your firewall, because a firewall issue would (more than likely) cause it not to slow down, but would block it completely.

When you say it loads slowly, what do you mean exactly ? Radio stations take a long time to start playing ? I have the same issue but only with a few stations. If I click GrooveSalad 128k in iTunes it starts playing even faster than MP3s on my local drive! Others take a while...that's the internet for you ;) You could get it to load faster by changing the "Streaming Buffer Size" in iTunes, but if you have a slow connection I wouldn't recommend it as it will likely result in pausing and rebuffering.

Speaking of which, if streaming is so slow, what is your internet connection ? Is it shared between lots of people who could be hogging the bandwidth (like a house or a university dorm) ?

On my iBook 366 MHz things load pretty darn fast, namely, as fast as my internet connection. Sometimes they even load and play as fast than on my father's 2.2 GHz 1GB RAM Dell. Always, of course, referring to streaming media only.

well i have a cable connection and my two pcs load the media very quickly. and what i mean by slow is when the clip is still loading in itunes or otherwise and i start to play it, it stutters alot.

Might it have something to do with your QuickTime preferences for Connection speed?

If you set your prefs too high, some streaming media may be assuming a bandwidth that is not available, and thereby stutter.

Something like that.

the only thing is flash sites take a long time to load as well. and i have the quicktime settings at what they should be for cable.

Oh, I didn't mention that above, but flash isn't a treaming media and isn't dependant on QuickTime. It's dependant on the FLASH media plugin that comes with most browsers now, which is written by Macromedia; blame them if it's slow.

I don't havemany issues with FLASH on m iMac 700MHz, it loads all right for me.

As for Quicktime, do you have instant-on enabled ?

i know flash is completely different. and i do believe instant on is enabled. should it be disabled or not. and i think the problem just may be in teh tcp/ip settings. is there anyway to adjust the settings within the os or is there a console command to do so?

Yeah Instant-On should be enabled. There are a few programs on VersionTackers that will modify the TCP/IP packet a bit but I don't think it will really make a very big difference.

Curious that it's so slow though !

Back