studio display 17 lcd backlight

kermit64

Registered
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=51810

this is the knowledge base article that describes my problem.
top half of the screen is dim and the power light blinks two short times and one long blink.

i was able to get the monitor to work correctly (i.e. the whole display was bright) one time after the problem started, but it has since returned to it's broken state.

i called a repair place near me and they quoted me between 450 and 600 dollars, which more than i would be willing to spend for a repair.

it seems to me that the backlight is still good, as it worked that one time during the problem. so does anyone know what needs to be fixed? or what the problem is? i tried to do find stuff on the net but got bogged down with laptop lcd replacements.

thanks,
ryan

Is this a relatively new monitor? I would call Apple as it should be under warranty.

Did you check your connections?

that article you referenced has the good info. The light sequence that you get indicates a problem with the Backlight bulbs, or the inverter board, or the associated internal cables or connectors. Yours is intermittent, I would guess the inverter board, which is not replaceable AFAIK in the US, except by the Apple repair depot, which is probably where your repair quote came from. :(

kermit64, i have the same problem with my 17" lcd studio display. I've already post a thread here on these forums, but the only solution seems to be the repairation by apple. anyway i kept my display as it is, but it's irritating.
at startup it seems to work perfectly, then after few seconds a part of the screen is darker then the other....
:( :( :( :( :(

Back