StuffIt Expander and OS X Permissions

fleur-de-lis

Registered
I already tried over at the Apple message boards but I didn't get any response. Here's my problem:

Every time I expand a file with stuffit expander 7.0.3 (in OS X 10.2.6), it changes the 'access permissions' of where it was unstuffed too, to:

Owner: Me (Read/Write)
Group: Staff (Read Only)
Others: (Read Only)

... which becomes a problem when I unstuff files to my Desktop, which should be:

Owner: Me (Read/Write)
Group: Staff (No Access)
Others: (No Access)

... thus giving other users on my computer full access to my Desktop.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? I've been using OS X for over a year and this is the first time I noticed it.

btw, this message board rocks!

I took a quick look at the preferences for Stuffit Expander and in the ~/Library/. . . .plists.

I couldn't find any option for specifying permissions. Looks like you'll have to change it manually or perhaps use an Applescript (?).

Doug

Thanks dktrickey but that wasn't exactly what I was talking about. I've edited my post to make it a bit clearer.

When I unstuff files to the Desktop, Stuffit Expander changes the permissions of my Desktop without telling me.

Stuffit apparently needs the permissions to be this way to unstuff. You could send this as a bug to the Stuffit guys, or select another unstuffing folder.

Originally posted by toast
Stuffit apparently needs the permissions to be this way to unstuff. You could send this as a bug to the Stuffit guys, or select another unstuffing folder.

I'll probably report it. Thanks.

I have a download folder (all downloads go there first instead of the Desktop) and I only unstuff inside the download folder, which is in my user Documents folder. This does not seem to affect the permissions of my user/Desktop folder. Is this of any help to you?

Back