Stuffit problems.

dane.van

Registered
I recently installed Stuffit expander 9.0.1 and it doesn't seem to work. It opens fine, but if I drag a .sit or a .zip (ii havent tried anything else) file to the window nothing happens at all. And if i drag a file to the icon in the dock, stuffit will open, do nothing at all for about a second, and then close again.

When I first downloaded 9.0 it worked fine and I was able to unstuff some .sit files, now nothing. I even tried installing stuffit 8.0 and the same thing happened. Dropstuff does seem to work though.

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling as well as getting rid of the preferences. And I am running OS 10.3.8

Any suggestions?

My friend had this problem when installing a cracked version of stuffit. Obviously dont take this the wrong way but if it is a cracked version it could well be the same dodgy version that could be floating around on the net and may be why it doesnt work so well.

He deleted all the preferences and then downloaded the free stuffit expander (which seems to suit his needs) and everything is working ok now.

I tried repairing the permissions but no luck.

Is there any other programs out for OS 10.3 that can open .sit files?

Have you tried other .sit files? The problem you describe is typical for an incomplete or damaged file. Try downloading another .sit, or a .hqx or .bin. Try various compressed file types, Unstuffit is capable of uncompressing any of these.
Have you tried a different user (or create a new user just for this purpose)?

If you are looking for parts of Stuffit, be sure to delete the /Library/Frameworks/Stuffit.framework folder

Ok, So I have a visitor account on my computer, and as per your suggestion I tried it using that account. It worked beautifully.

Now how do I get it working on this account? It would be annoying to have to move all my .sit files to the shared folder, switch users, unstuff, and then switch back and move it again. I tried uninstalling the app and the framework using the installer, and I also tried to straight delete the frameworks folder in my library and then re install stuffit. But neither worked for this account.

If dropstuff works and expander doesn't, try a get info on each. Do the
alias's point to the same folder?

Have you tried deleting the .plist files from the user Preference folder? There should be 5 of them.

I would also turn off "Allow Version Checking" option in each application's preferences. This can cause the program to become unresponsive.

Back