Stupid CD-R's

MikeXpop

iEye
Well, my mac is going on a little trip to the apple repair store for a week. The guy at the Genius Bar said that the hard drive may have to be replaced, so he let me take the iBook home to back up everything. Well, I was out of CD-R's, so I picked up some Sony 700 MB 1-48x High Speed CD-R's for 20 bucks. I put one of the babies into my LaCie external (my iBook is a CD-ROM) and I get an error message.

"You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted, click Ignore." [Ignore] [[eject]]

Well, I clicked eject, and put in a different disk, and the same thing happened. 3 CD-R's later and no luck.

Now I'm starting to get mad. When I click Ignore it doesn't see a disk when I try to burn. I really don't know what to do.

Some other things to note is that my friend gave me a burned copy of some videos he made on this exact type of CD-R and the mac can read that fine. I've also burned other CD-R's with the burner and it can read them fine.

Any idea of what to do would be appreciated :)

You should do what I did...I was sending my iBook in, and the manager told me it's be $80 for them to back up my data to a DVD-R (I had a DVD iBook, not a combo). So I politely asked him if I bought a blank DVD, could I transfer my data via firewire to one of the store's machines, and burn the disc myself. He said yes, and I saved myself $70.

Originally posted by Dlatu1983
You should do what I did...I was sending my iBook in, and the manager told me it's be $80 for them to back up my data to a DVD-R (I had a DVD iBook, not a combo). So I politely asked him if I bought a blank DVD, could I transfer my data via firewire to one of the store's machines, and burn the disc myself. He said yes, and I saved myself $70.
It was $50 for them to back up someway (didn't explain how) but I really wanted to give my system a good clean install and back up only the essentials. If need be I can go to my friend's house and back up my stuff on his computer for a week. But that still doesn't justify my $20 of useless disks! :(

Different media have different compatibilities with varying drives. You may have discs that your burner doesn't like, which shouldn't be the case, but it happens. Ask any of your friends if they want to trade CD-R's.

MikeXPop,

Did you try using Toast? Run Toast first so it can intercept the cd. . .

Doug

Your signature says that your iBook has a CD-ROM drive, not a CD-RW drive. Could this be the case? You will need a CD-RW or CD-R drive to burn CDs, not just a standard CD-ROM drive.

Back