SuperDrive/Multi-Format Burner for PowerMac G4

Total Konfuzion

Registered
I have a Dual PowerMac G4 500 that has an original DVD-RAM drive. These drives work okay but aren't as versatile as I wish they were. Could I just purchase a good ole LG or Lite-On Multi-Format burner from Newegg and plug that bad boy in? Would it work with the Mac OS X? Would it work with the Apple Hardware?

Thanks! :) You guys are geniuses...you should open up a bar...wait... :)

I replaced my stock CD drive in my original Yikes! G4 with a Pioneer DVR-107, later to be replaced with a Pioneer DVR-112. Both are recognized and usable as if they originally shipped with the computer. I recommend a Pioneer, but that's only my opinion... they're cheap and compatible, and so far, reliable, and that's all I'm looking for in an optical drive.

A great resource for real-world reports on drive compatibilities is XLR8YourMac's site:

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

You can look up specific types of drives (optical, hard drive, etc.) and different computer models (G3, G4, iMac, etc.) and see how certain brands interact with certain Mac computers on things like compatibility and speed.

Thanks again! I'll look into purchasing one eventually. I was hoping that my assumption was correct. That site is fantastic by the way. I'm going to soup up this G4 and make it one rockin machine. Slowly but surely...

Back