Superdrive on MacBook Pro

Yogi Bear

Registered
Can anyone confirm for me that the MacBook Pro's built in superdrive is only the 4x single layer version and not the 8x double layer version that is found in the G4.

Also does anyone know what goes in an express card slot and what could you possibly need that isnt built in??

I read they are using a smaller/tinnier superdrive in the MacBook Pros that really doesn't support dual-layer DVD burning. By the way, check out the thread on the success of dual-layer media. After that you won't feel so sorry for no dual-layer burning support.
The express card slot could be used for additional USB slots, firewire 800, memory stick drives, upcoming wifi cards...

Yogi Bear said:
Can anyone confirm for me that the MacBook Pro's built in superdrive is only the 4x single layer version and not the 8x double layer version that is found in the G4.
You don't need us to confirm for you -- you can read it for yourself right there on the product page:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/whatsinside.html

Also does anyone know what goes in an express card slot and what could you possibly need that isnt built in??
The Express Card slot is the next-generation PCMCIA slot. Many, many, many things can go in there -- modems, expansion cards for more USB/FireWire ports, wireless cards, SCSI adaptors, flash card readers, just about anything you can think of. On the Windows side of things, they even have PCMCIA graphics adaptors.

Besides, new technology is always coming out. If they didn't build it into the MacBook Pro, then without the slot you'd be absolutely stuck with what features were built-in. A "pro" machine should be truly expandable, and that's what that slot is for: expandability.

http://www.expresscard.org/web/site/

Yeah but since they have only included the smaller slot you will not be able to get a dongle free compact flash card reader for it. That will greatly suck for use with any high end digital cameras. It is silly but that is the thing that has most put me off the MacBook Pro, the idea that I can't just pop the CF card from my 20D in there any more.

I didn't know that the PCMCIA slot was pin-compatible with CF cards... you learn something new everyday!

Besides, the ExpressCard slot is cutting-edge technology, much like FireWire was when it was first introduced -- obviously, there aren't going to be a lot of peripherals available for it immediately, but there is a 5-in-1 flash card reader already available:

http://www.yedata.co.jp/index_ie.html

Yes but if you look at the five different cards supported none of them are compact flash. The problem is that compact flash cards are 42 mm wide which is a bit too big to fit in the 34 mm slot. So no reader for me!

But I just sank like $1700 into this goofy (well damn sweet actually) camera and it just cheeses me off to think I can't just pop the flash card into the new MacBooks. I guess I will just have to get on of the 4 GB cards so that I have to do it less often when the time comes...

There is an aesthetic that the usb dongle just kind of lacks. In the old days they were not as fast as the the direct connection you get with a PCMCIA reader so I am loth to go back to one. USB 1 left scars...

It is, but I never claimed to be rational in this thread. ;)

Scars, scars I tell you! That is what that old USB I dongle left on my psyche and any uppity new dongle (version II or not) has a lot to prove to win its way back into my camera bag.

lurk said:
There is an aesthetic that the usb dongle just kind of lacks. In the old days they were not as fast as the the direct connection you get with a PCMCIA reader so I am loth to go back to one. USB 1 left scars...
I can use either and I have both. I prefer the little reader on the end of its "string". It's easier and much quicker to just yank the flash card out of the reader than go through the eject routine on the PowerBook.

CyberBiker said:
Who uses CF?
Anyone with a Digital SLR, like Nikon D70, Canon D20, D5, D1, D60, D10
Actually "some" (majority) of people with an older/current dSLR. Those of us with Nikon D50s are on Secure Digital (which I prefer), as are those with Pentax (*istDS; *istDS2). Those with Canon EOS (1Ds Mark II; 1D Mark II; 1D Mark IIN) have both CF and SD.

A note on the "older/current" thing. I say it that way because there is talk that Nikon and Canon may move all their dSLRs over to SD in the near future, possibly offering two or more slots on the higher-end models.

Well, these things change, of course. I'm sure there'll be _yet_ another memory-card format before long. There's a reason why there are those USB-card readers which state "8-in-1" and things like that. Counting one format as the most important one right now wouldn't be that clever. And I'm sure Apple had other things in mind when switching from CardBus to ExpressCard 32.

The way I handle it: I've bought a nice little card reader. Fits the colour of my PowerBook even. And it's always in my bag. I personally only use Sony Memory Sticks right now, but I've used CF in the past, my mobile phones have MMCs etc. I've often been glad I have this with me.

Does anyone know yet which drive exactly Apple is building into the Intel Powerbooks? Or at least which brand?

Back