superdrive, what disks??

sUICIDE_mONKEY

Registered
Heya,
my dad bought a new emac for himself there over christmas (his first mac :D ), he got the 1Ghz with superdrive, he went and bought some Rewritable DVD's and i think they are DVD+RW, now i dont know anything bout these superdrives but i think they aint compatible with DVD+RW or DVD+R discs are they? He needs the minus ones yeah??
whats the difference anyway?? and is either dvd+ or dvd- gonna become industry standard and the other type gonna stop bein manufactured??

:edit: actually does the superdrive even handle any form of dvd rw's?? :edit:

sUICIDE_mONKEY said:
Heya,
my dad bought a new emac for himself there over christmas (his first mac :D ), he got the 1Ghz with superdrive, he went and bought some Rewritable DVD's and i think they are DVD+RW, now i dont know anything bout these superdrives but i think they aint compatible with DVD+RW or DVD+R discs are they? He needs the minus ones yeah??
whats the difference anyway?? and is either dvd+ or dvd- gonna become industry standard and the other type gonna stop bein manufactured??

:edit: actually does the superdrive even handle any form of dvd rw's?? :edit:

I'm not exactly sure what is supported by the superdrive, but i have had great success with the Sony DVD-R DMR47L1 with the superdrive in my powerbook

With other media, i get errors in Toast and stuff, but not with these.
They come in a black and yellow case.

The SuperDrive supports both the +R and the -R disks, except Mac OS X only officially supports the -R disks. If you wish to burn iDVD movies or use DVD disks to back stuff up on with Apple's Backup, get DVD-R disks.

I believe you can read and write to DVD+R disks from the Finder only, but I'm not sure -- get some DVD-R disks to be sure you're compatible.

No one knows which format will become the industry standard yet. The difference between the two disks is the way the data is stored and the way the data is written to the disk. DVD+R supports some things that DVD-R doesn't, but I can't say for sure offhand what those things are.

I always purchase Apple's own DVD-R media from the online Apple Store. It's $10 for a pack of 5, which isn't a super-duper deal, but it's not expensive, either. With standard shipping, they usually get to me in 4 or 5 days.

right so like an app like toast should have no prob writing to a + disc then...... cool, what about ReWritable discs will they work aswell??

hmm, well i guess this would be the answer from the horses mouth so to say.... from the above apple doc link
"DVD+RW is a rewriteable format of similar capacity to DVD-RW, but was developed separately by the DVD+RW Alliance (http://www.dvdrw.com/). DVD+RW is not write compatible with DVD-R drives such as the SuperDrive, so the SuperDrive cannot write to DVD+RW disc"

Ah, yes, so the SuperDrive can't do DVD+RW... but I think I read somewhere that you can use DVD+R disks -- don't take my word for it, research a little to find out for sure.

I would simply purchase DVD-R disks to eliminate any compatibility issues.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Ah, yes, so the SuperDrive can't do DVD+RW... but I think I read somewhere that you can use DVD+R disks -- don't take my word for it, research a little to find out for sure.

I would simply purchase DVD-R disks to eliminate any compatibility issues.

apple uses pioneer dvr-10* for their superdrives. i believe the pioneer dvr-106/7 drives support dvd+/-r but apple chooses not to enable it in the firmware.

i dont believe there is any way to write to a dvd+ disc using a superdrive.

Home Video DVD players like the ones you plug into you TV work best with DVD-R. So that's prob the best one to go for if you are doing any kind of video.

SuperDrive does DVD-R and DVD-RW. By applying a firmware patch, you might be able to get it to work with other media in Toast, however I don't think it's worth the time, because DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs are cheaper than DVD+R(W)s. At least they are where I live...

I've never had any luck writing to rewritable DVD media of any kind (and I've tried them all) with my Superdrive. I finally got an external Tritton DVD+RW drive, which works great.

DVD-RW works just fine here. My tibook 1Ghz just supported DVD-R at 1x speed and since I did a firmware update supports 2x speed and DVD-RW. What is your hardware, mbhockey?

Back