Switcher Switched Back - Too Slow They Say

I have many pcs, running everything from win98 to 2k to redhat to bsd and you know what? I use my iBook more often than I use any of my pcs. If you take a look at my computer stats in my sig, you will see that most of the pcs i have blow away the ibook 700 in terms of specs, but the iBook is just damn fun to use! And i can accomplish everything i could using both a windows box and a *nix box....under one roof. :) Yay@me

Originally posted by Total Konfuzion
I have many pcs, running everything from win98 to 2k to redhat to bsd and you know what? I use my iBook more often than I use any of my pcs. If you take a look at my computer stats in my sig, you will see that most of the pcs i have blow away the ibook 700 in terms of specs, but the iBook is just damn fun to use! And i can accomplish everything i could using both a windows box and a *nix box....under one roof. :) Yay@me

Well said. I do have one of the fastest Macs out right now but even if I still have it in 5 years, I'll be happy. There is just no other option for me, If I didn't use Macs I wouldn't use computers at all. Im so serious...

Umm, they are using MSIE. Of course it is slow. It has always been slow on X. In fact, it's slow slow that I exclusively use mozilla now.

Originally posted by anrkngl
Umm, they are using MSIE. Of course it is slow. It has always been slow on X. In fact, it's slow slow that I exclusively use mozilla now.

Absolutely, IE is horrid on Mac, for anyone who hasn't tried it, give Chimera a shot. It is BY FAR the fastest rendering browser available. It makes every other browser look ridiculous for rendering speed. Since it is cocoa it also looks nicer than any other browser. Tabs are awesome too.
Get it at www.mozilla.org , just look for the chimera link. Dont be afraid to grab the latest trunk version released nightly. They are WAY stable.

Originally posted by swizcore

Get it at www.mozilla.org , just look for the chimera link. Dont be afraid to grab the latest trunk version released nightly. They are WAY stable.

I'll say. Netscape 7.0 would quit unexpectedly while the Chimera 0.5 has been very solid.

And as far as going back to PCs are concerned, I know there has to be a lot of pissed off people today, and far more than is in the entire Apple camp. Intel has abandoned RAMBUS in any future upgrades. Like the VL-Bus (huh, you mean nobody remembers that?), motherboards that support this now orphaned technology will slowly wither and dry up in supply. All I can say is thank you to the masses of PC users to help Apple figure out which technology was ultimately the best.

Technologically it may have been superior on paper, but it was too expensive to implement. For 256 Mbytes of RAMBUS RAM, you had to install a pair of 128 Mbyte modules, and there were a lot of cheaper motherboards with only 2 RAM slots like Dells. And for that price I could easily offer my customers a faster processor along with 512 Mbytes of DDR RAM on one module, and any OS is faster with double the RAM, even if the RAM is marginally slower. It's too bad 10's of millions of PC users were burned by Intel's decision. But the good thing that will come out of this, in the long run, is cheaper DDR prices for Apple computers.
:)

While I prefer OmniWeb and still use it as my main browser, in the past few days I'm trying Chimera 0.5 in a few Macs (with X.1.5 as well as X.2) and so far its the best Chimera version!

Its SOOOOOOOOO fast! It beats EVERYTHING else in speed area... And its somewhat stable too!

It seems, that for me, the top 3 browsers are:
-OmniWeb
-Chimera
-Mozilla

Now, if Chimera/Mozilla let me read Greek web sites like OmniWeb does, I could be in browser heaven!

OmniWeb rules because it has built-in capabilities for Greek NOT only for reading the sites but for menus, help, etc!!! And I didn't load a anything but OmniWeb itself... Unlike Mozilla or Chimera or IE which require the user to wrestle with fonts, languages and stuff like that...

OmniWeb, OmniWeb, OmniWeb, OmniWeb.1 rulez!

Originally posted by drash

...But the good thing that will come out of this, in the long run, is cheaper DDR prices for Apple computers.
:)

and hopefully some more switchers :)

yeah I just changed my default to chimera. You can set it to automatically open new tabs whenever you request a page from another app (ie you get a bunch of emails with links...just click on the links and tabs will be made for each serperate one, you dont have to go to browser, hit command +n, go back to app, click link, etc.)

Firstly, Chimera rocks. I like it as it will actually open up the NME Radio listening window, however, just as with Mozilla it crashes the entire browser before the music beings. I don't suppose this has anything to do with the fact that NME radio is broadcast exclusively in Windows Media format. I'm sure MS has a bit of code that makes all non IE browsers crash when trying to load WM content.

Anyway, as far as speed goes this is my observation. My Mac rocks for waking up from sleep. I sell computers for the darkside everyday and I often wait upwards of 30 seconds for the computers to wake up. As far as other tasks, my G4 533 kicks a Celeron's ass at everything regardless of the Celeron clock speed. On AMD Athlons or P4s, similar speeds for most app openings but the XP ui is without a doubt snappier. Anybody that knows me knows it pains me to say that, but its true. Will I ever by a PC? Absolutely not. I would honestly never buy a home computer again if I had to run Windows. The way I see it is that my dad has an SE from 1987 and it is still trucking so I should be able to get at least 15 years out of this G4, right?

Originally posted by Tormente

Um... there is no splash screen on XP's Internet Exploder... :p

I don't think there's ever been a splash screen for Internet Explorer on any Windws version.

Actually, if you install Internet Explorer 4+ on Windows NT or Windows 95, there'll be a splash screen because the program is not part of the OS. For anything since Windows 98, the screen doesn't come up since it is integrated into the OS.

Andre

*gag*@IE 4...that screwed up every single win95 machine i ever saw it touch. hehe. I think that might have been when the term Internet Exploder actually got popular.

Just tried chimera .5... Wow what a fcking difference in speed! Web browsing is super fast on my 700mhz LCD imac. I now realize IE blowz on the mac (again)

Chimera's tab window function ROCKS! I am anal when it comes to multiple windows open on the desktop and Chimera in one neat window! Nice nice nice... love it love it love it!

Back