Switchers

My mom always used PCs and my dad always used Macs, so about 3 years ago when I moved in with my dad I was forced to switch basically. Glad to say, I don't miss much :)

Originally posted by kanecorp
I think they should focus on how cool their stuff is instead on how a few idiots couldn't figure out how to get a camera working on a windows computer ;)
But that is *SUCH* a cool feature. Last week, my friend asked me to show him how to connect a digital camera and a camcorder to his "new" Pismo PowerBook. He brought it over, I plugged the cameras in, and they worked just like that!

We didn't have to connect to the Internet, download drivers, install, reboot, etc. Both cameras worked the very first time. It saved me at least half an hour, but for a newbie, it saves you maybe a day.

And I did try connecting my camcorder to my PC. I bought a FireWire board. Then I had to upgrade to Windows ME. My hard disk wasn't fast enough, so I bought a new one. And I added lots of RAM. Ok, then I installed a bunch of software, and it worked.

But it doesn't work now. I don't know why, I don't really care, because, doggone it, I'm getting a Mac.

Originally posted by fryke
Jade: Go ahead and test what you would be doing on a Mac. Forget for a moment about the MHz numbers. What really matters is how fast you get your work (or not your work, but fun) done. And that's where Macintosh excels. It's the design of 'easy to use', it's how the machine works for you instead of the other way 'round that makes the Macintosh a better computer.

I don't really care whether the next PowerPC processors will be labelled 2 GHz, X MegaFlips or 200 MHz, as long as they're faster than the processors we're using now.

Benchmarks are all nice and that, but seriously: Are you the person that lets your computer run for four hours without interaction rendering something? I'm not. Most of the time I'm interacting with my computer, and there is where speed matters. Speed of workflow, that is. And the Mac's just faster.

A simple point and well articulated!

The problem is... where do you go and test drive a Mac?
I don't know many computer shops in the UK that stock Macs and those that do are staffed by pimpled geeks who love to show off their knowledge of IRQ's and other really important 'techie' stuff.

We don't have the Apples in education thing like the US so I'm wording how many Macs are sold by word of mouth from people like us.

I wish I could write...
"Apple what you really need to do is XXXXXXXXXXX"
but I don't know what X is, so for now I'll follow your lead and show my friends, one at a time, that faster doesn't equal smarter.

I think you just defined what "X" is: Apple needs to cater more to the foreign sector and expand their image and availability in other developed countries like Britain, S. Korea, etc. Go ahead and write them about that.

Fryke: how many megaflips is your computer? :)

Back