Switching back and forth to os x and os 9

In System 9.2.2 use the 'Startup Disk' Control Panel file ('Apple, Control Panels, Startup Disk' sub-menu item).
In MacOS X use the 'System Preferences' 'Startup Disk' Utility ('Apple, System Preferences' menu item - click on 'Startup Disk'). System Preferences' is located in the '/Applications/' folder.

I knew that Im woundering if there is a program that will let me choose which partion to boot from before the computer boots a os.

If you have an AGP G4 machine or later, simply hold the 'option' key while booting. You can select any bootable partition from the menu that appears, useful for temporarily booting from a USB/FireWire drive without permanently changing the startup disk.

I want to say that I heard that this only works if the bootable disks reside on separate physical devices (not on the same drive or a partitioned drive), but I can't be sure -- try it and see.

I believe that Yaboot (requied for some Linux distros) will allow you to select booting from Linux or Mac OS X, but this occurs in the NVRAM, I believe, and is not actually executing from your hard drive.

'... I heard that this only works if the bootable disks reside on separate physical devices (not on the same drive or a partitioned drive), but I can't be sure ...', you can have a drive with multiple partitions - with various versions of MacOS X on any or all partitions; and when the Mac is booted with the <option> key pressed - all bootable volumes / partitions will be listed.

its a powerbook g3 with 3 partions one with 10.1.5 one with 9.2.1 and one for storage. I figured out if you push esc+c it will boot into the other partion. so say I last used 9.2.1 when i turn on the powerbook and hold down esc+c it will boot into 10.1.5, but thats all i figured out yet.

barhar said:
you can have a drive with multiple partitions - with various versions of MacOS X on any or all partitions; and when the Mac is booted with the <option> key pressed - all bootable volumes / partitions will be listed.
Ah, I see that from this technote:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106178

In that technote, it states that only one operating system per volume (volume can be a partition in this sense... multiple partitions == multiple volumes) will be shown... I take that to mean that if you have Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 on the same volume, it will only show the one you booted from last ( http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106696 ).

At any rate, my machine isn't capable of this so all the information I have is second-hand information from old technotes.

'I take that to mean that if you have Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 on the same volume, it will only show the one you booted from last ...', if any volume and / or partition has a MacOS X 'System ' folder and a 'System 9.1.x' (or 'System 9.2.x') 'System folder' on it, when booting with the <option> key pressed, two separate icons will be displayed - one for 'MacOS X' and the other for 'System 9.1.x' (or 'System 9.2.x').

The same applies when viewing the bootable volumes / partitions with 'System Preferences' 'Startup Disk' utility.

so option gives you a menu? i've always been told that hold down the 'x' key to get it to boot into os x, and hold down the option key to get it to boot into os 9, even if they are on the same volume. of course i was doing that with my ppc7500 and ppc8600 before i got a g4 tower, and never needed to go into os 9 anymore. now i want to reboot just to try it.:confused:

barhar said:
'I take that to mean that if you have Mac OS X and Mac OS 9 on the same volume, it will only show the one you booted from last ...', if any volume and / or partition has a MacOS X 'System ' folder and a 'System 9.1.x' (or 'System 9.2.x') 'System folder' on it, when booting with the <option> key pressed, two separate icons will be displayed - one for 'MacOS X' and the other for 'System 9.1.x' (or 'System 9.2.x').

The same applies when viewing the bootable volumes / partitions with 'System Preferences' 'Startup Disk' utility.
when i hold down the option key it will only switch into 9, if i used 9 last and press the option key it will still boot into os 9

sinclair_tm said:
so option gives you a menu? i've always been told that hold down the 'x' key to get it to boot into os x, and hold down the option key to get it to boot into os 9, even if they are on the same volume. of course i was doing that with my ppc7500 and ppc8600 before i got a g4 tower, and never needed to go into os 9 anymore. now i want to reboot just to try it.:confused:
i will try that when i get home

'so option gives you a menu?' - it is more a list, of rows of columns, of all the bootable volumes.

Each displayed 'System 9.x' volume has a smiling half Mac half man icon, at it's lower right; whereas, each displayed 'MacOS X' volume has a circled X (at it's lower right).

i think i figured it out i can boot into os x from os 9 by pressing the x key, and boot into os 9 from os x buy pushing the c key

my powerbook will boot to os 9 by holding down c with a cd not in the drive but option also works, thanks for all ur help

Back