Switching from Firefox to Camino?

tsigo

Registered
I've been a long time Firefox user in Windows so of course I've been using that while trying out OS X. I had forgotten all about Camino until I saw a post about it recently.

It's very pretty. I like that it uses the native OS X elements on forms and things like that. But there's one feature of Firefox in particular that's keeping me from switching.

URL Completion. In Firefox, if I type "google" in the address bar and hit Command-Enter, it wraps it in "www" and ".com". If you do Shift-Enter, ".net", Command-Shift-Enter, ".org". None of these work in Camino.

Is there a way to do that? Why should I use Camino over Firefox? Why shouldn't I?

Thanks for any answers.

In Camino (as well as Safari) just type the name and hit the return button. To get the most out of Camino use the nightly builds by downloading them with CaminoKnight and skin Camino with CaminIcon.

In Firefox, you can't navigate within tabs.. like no shortcut from getting from one tab to the next or previous tab. At least I have not found a shortcut for that.
And as I need that shortcut, that keeps me in Safari and Camino.

http://yjblog.stupidchicken.com/archives/2005/01/page/2/

One thing that always annoyed me about Firefox for Mac was how its keyboard shortcuts were non-standard for Mac apps – Ctrl-Pageup/Pagedown or Ctrl-Tab/Ctrl-shift-Tab for moving between tabs especially. This hint from macosxhints, however, points out the Keyconfig extension, which allows one to remap Firefox shortcuts (e.g. previous page as backspace from the less meaningful Cmd-[).

Changing the next/previous tab commands were a bit more difficult. Insert these lines into the profile directory’s prefs.js to enable Camino-style tab navigation (Cmd-option-left and right):

user_pref(“keyconfig.main.xxx_key__Next Tab”, “alt meta][][VK_RIGHT][gBrowser.mTabContainer.advanceSelectedTab(1);”);
user_pref(“keyconfig.main.xxx_key__Previous Tab”, “alt meta][][VK_LEFT][gBrowser.mTabContainer.advanceSelectedTab(-1);”);

Change meta to shift to emulate Safari shortcuts.

On the subject of said shortcuts, remapping the “focus on search bar” from Cmd-K (“disable/enable pop-up blocking” in Safari) to Cmd-option-F was a bit more difficult. Option-F in the Keyconfig control panel gives some ASCII gibberish which doesn’t really save properly in the prefs file. Editing prefs.js does the trick:

user_pref(“keyconfig.main.key_search”, “alt meta][F][”);

Back