switching 'recommended applications' to 'all applications'

27 houdini's

guy with great hairdo
When opening a file, sometimes you want to use a specific application (say open a .jpg file with BBedit instead of preview). Do do so, i right click/ ctrl-click a file --->(contextual menu) select 'Open with' --->select 'Other...' ---> (window) Choose application
and then I always get the annoying 'enable: recommended applications' as default in the dropdown menu (or do they call it a combobox menu?).

Is there a way to set 'enable: all applications' as the default option ??

You would be doing a lot of extra 'clicking and selecting'
Much easier to simply drop your file or document on top of the app that you want to use, or its icon in the Dock. One step, and you're done - and you can use different apps each time, all with the same one-step drag-n-drop.

nope,

I know that trick, for some file types it works, for some it doesn't, so... got another trick?

Changing the default settings somewhere would be a better solution...

I thought you were asking for a way to easily change the opening app.

So, select your desired file that you would like to change the default. Get Info on that file. Choose 'Open With, then select your desired app from the drop down list. Then click on Change All..
That will change all of that doc type to open with your desired default.

My tip (not really a 'trick') will allow you to use any app to open a document on the fly (without extra clicks . . :)

Back