Synching iTunes between different machines

mvcube

Mac newbie
Hi,

I'd like to synch my iTunes lib between my MBP (Leopard), my iMac (Tiger) and my older mini (Tiger). I know I can copy the files but I'd prefer a logical synch.

Well you would get a WIRED network disk (an ethernet disk that plugs into your router that all your computers plug into) and then share that disk to everyone on the network. Then move your iTunes library to a folder on that network disk and then authorize every iTunes account on YOUR network to play the DRM iTunes files.

That is the way I would do it.

Thanks for the tip, but that's not an option because I carry my MBP around and want to synch any changes to the library back to my iMac. For the time being, I have my iTunes lib shared over the network from my iMac to the mini and the MBP and I make manual copies of the files. The latter is error prone.

I don't know about you but my whole iTunes library WILL NOT fit onto my Mac Book Pro. That is the cold hard fact and I excepted that and just use the "highlights" of my Library on my Mac Book Pro to save space on the smaller hard drive. Sorry my suggestion pissed you off so much.

FW Target mode is a way to do it, but I have a 1GBit network at home that does equally well. I was thinking in a more logical way: Can you copy playlists? Can you copy from within iTunes or is Filer the tool of choice?

Back