Syncing 'Music'

mw84

Registered
Finally decided to buy myself an iPhone and to be honest I'm very impressed. :D

One question I have is, I have music that I bought prior to using iTunes in the folder named 'Music', does anyone know how I add this to my iPhone? From what I can see it only gives me the option to add from playlists and/ or music purchased from the iTunes store.

Drag the music files from the "Music" folder into iTunes.

You can only sync the iPhone with iTunes, so if it's not in iTunes, it ain't gettin' on your phone. :)

Sorry mate, I meant the 'music' folder in iTunes, the one under Library with Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts etc.

Also, create a new "playlist" in iTunes and drag only the music you wish to be on your iPhone to it. Check this playlist only in iTunes to sync. This way, only select music will sync with the phone.

PS: Don't worry, all your music will stay in your original "music" file.

That's what I've done for now, created a new playlist, bit of a pain doing it everytime I get music from somewhere other than itunes though.

And what are you supposed to do when you want to remove songs from your iTunes / computer to conserve hard drive space?

Then those songs disappear from your iPod/iPhone the next time you sync it. I suppose Apple expects you to get a larger hard drive.

iTunes and the iPod/iPhone are meant to be used as portable devices that take all or some of the music present on your computer with you on-the-go. If the song's not in iTunes, it's not on the iPod/iPhone either (or, if it is, it will be removed the next time you sync). I believe you can get around this by setting the iPod preferences in iTunes to "manually manage" the music or something similar to that.

The short answer is that the iPod is not supposed to be used as a storage device for your music -- it's mean to be a full or partial sync of the music on your computer, and your computer is meant to be the supreme holder of your entire collection of music. That's Apple's intentions, and that's the way they have the system set up. You can circumvent this by using 3rd-party software.

Then those songs disappear from your iPod/iPhone the next time you sync it. I suppose Apple expects you to get a larger hard drive.

What I do, is delete the file of the hard drive but leave the song in iTunes, that way it leaves the song on your iPod and just gives you an error message that the file can't be found.

Back