system file mapping

BitWit

Flash/JavaScript nerd
Other than using "Open with" in the get info dialog, is there a registry that determines what file types are opened by which application?

registry? Macs don't need no stinkin' registry! ::ha:: :D
You are the one that determines what file types are opened by which applications, and you're at the right place. In file info, you can select the app you want to use for that file and then click 'Change All' to apply it to all like files. After that, doubleclicking that file type should open the app that you chose (without needing to do a file open) Is that what you need?

Well, I can do that, but there's another problem. I have an editor that will preview pages in a browser, but it's also a OS9 app. Its highly configurable (like every key shortcut, contextual colors and tons more) and I spent about a week getting it tweaked up nice on my OS9 system at work.

Well, I moved those prefs over so I could save myself all the trouble, and now my X version does everything perfect, except the preview feature now opens OS9, and ignores safari commands.

So, logically, I want to revert, so I delete all the related files and prefs and plst etc... then reinstall to find the problem still there.

humbug.

sure, it opens Classic (OS 9), because your editor is a Classic app (is it available in an OS X version?) and what is the name of this editor, perhaps someone here will have a suggestion about a similar product, or a work around, to use with Safari.
The easiest work-around, is to use the editor the way you have it set up, by booting to OS 9, unless you're unfortunate enough to have a Mac that can't boot to OS 9
Some Classic apps will give you the choice to open in Classic or OS X. Go to Get Info on the app, see if there's a box labeled 'Open in Classic' and un-check it. Then that app will not open Classic to run. If that choice does not exist, then you're out of luck, except for an OS X version of your app.

well the command is to browse, by file creator code. So at first I configured browse(MOSS) and it opens netscape (in X), then browse(MSIE) would open IE in X, and browse(MMKE) would open safari in X. After doing the preferences change, it tries to open all the apps in 9, except Safari, which it ignores. I cleared those apps out of nine, and now it cant find them any more at all, though the exist in X...

Transferring a setup that uses OS 9 apps, will continue to attempt to use those same apps. You'll have to modify your settings file so only OS X apps are called for. This may take some hand editing of the file itself, IMHO
File Creator codes are not as useful on OS X as they are in OS 9 and earlier Mac OS.
I think this is in the wrong place for troubleshooting, judging by your sig. Is this all about JavaScript? you may get much quicker answers by going to a support site for JS and OS X, or to THIS FORUM
MODERATOR: This thread should be moved to a better support forum (looiks like a JAVAScript question.

I'm curious about how files are recocnized by the system too. Surely there must be somekind of registry somewhere that will tell Finder to open this file with that application, no?

Sometimes files don't seem to have extensions, but are still recognized as specific types. It would be interesting to know how this is done and if this info can be called up on a command line in Terminal.

Mikel said:
Surely there must be somekind of registry somewhere that will tell Finder to open this file with that application, no?
It is definitely not a Registry, at least not in the sense that is used in Windows. (Thank goodness for that!) However, there is a system level database of internet protocol helper applications and file mappings. Interestingly enough the only tool for changing those that ships in the box with OS X is the Internet Explorer preferences. However there is a very nice little freeware app MisFox from the developer of iCab that can edit both protocol helper application and file mappings. There are other tools that can edit the protocol helpers but MisFox is the only one that can do both.

Cool, that is an essential peice of software I think (at least for learning, if not developing). Odd that something similar isn't included with the OSX package.

I suppose there is some kind of default-icon mapping somewhere too.

I make some brief observations: 'Get Info' on a .jpg file defines the kind as "JPEG Image" whereas MisFox labels it as "JPEG Picture". Other files, like those in my /sw/bin directory that have no extensions but have 'Get Info' designations as "Unix Executable File", not listed in the file mappings of files without extension. (Goody, it looks like there is a HexEdit application on the computer. Nope, it seems to be a non-existant helper application. More mysteries.)

Mikel said:
'Get Info' on a .jpg file defines the kind as "JPEG Image" whereas MisFox labels it as "JPEG Picture". Other files, like those in my /sw/bin directory that have no extensions but have 'Get Info' designations as "Unix Executable File"
JPEG Image, JPEG Picture I wouldn't worry about it. There is no difference.

If a file is in /sw/bin it is a Unix Executable file. The "bin" stands for Binary.

In Macs you will often find files without extensions. The classic Mac OS relied almost completely on metadata that was contained in the resource fork of a file while the action data was in the data fork. Among the information contained in the resource fork was a four character Creator code and a four character Type code that together indicated the application associated with that file and what type of a file it is. Because of its Unix underpinnings OS X makes use of the ubiquitous three character extensions, but it also recognizes the type and creator codes. The difference being that instead of the meta data being contained in the resource fork of the file it is now contained in a separate invisible file with the same name as the data file/fork. Old time Mac users have been pushing for a re-emphasis of the meta-data as it is far more flexible and powerful than the three character extensions. Unfortunately it also creates compatibility issues with the dominant PC culture.

I believe there is a hex editor available in Apple's Software Developers Toolkit, the latest version of which is downloadable from The Apple Developer Connection. Membership as an Apple developer is required but free unless you want technical support or to check out some resources such as alpha or beta OS or software releases. That level of membership can be quite expensive and also required binding non-disclosure agreements.

If that's the newest Toolkit available on 10.3's retail package, then I've already got it installed. A search doesn't find anything for "hexedit". Does it go by another name maybe?

That metadata would be nice to know more about. A Google search doesn't yield much more than hard-core Apple fanatics who really don't like the direction the OS is heading in by adopting/integrating the .extension convention. (I personally love OSX).

I have to buy an OSX developer's book. Any suggestions?

Okay, I must'a thunk it was there. In the meantime take a look at the freeware application HexEditor. It should do everything you need and the price is right!

By-the-way what comes on the CD is not the latest version of the SDK. The latest version is only available for download. It too is free, except that it is a big download.

I forgot to mention books on OS X software devleopment. O'Reilly Press has a number of excellent titles. It all depends on what kind of programming you will be doing, Applescript, Java, Carbon (procedural frameworks), Cocoa (object oriented frameworks), some of the above, all of the above. Each environment is a topic unto itself.

Also check Apple's Developer Connection for the official manuals.

That editor doesn't want to open .app files. Is there a trick?

I like the other stuff on that site too. esp. the voice command thing. The plastic surgery one is just creepy.

Mikel said:
That editor doesn't want to open .app files. Is there a trick?

I like the other stuff on that site too. esp. the voice command thing. The plastic surgery one is just creepy.
The trick is .APP files are not files they are "packages" a special type of folder that contains all the resources necessary for an application to operate. There may be literally thousands of files inside that package. To Open a package file, select the file then Option Click to open the context menu and select "Show Package Contents" then you can drill down through the folders in the package to get to the actual files themselves.

I agree about the plastic surgery application. Really creepy.

Aha. I assume you meant ctrl+click to peer into the package. I get it. Macs just continue to impress me.

Oh, I had to drag the desired file onto the HexEditor icon in the doc to edit it. That's not a problem (I haven't tried a save yet, but assume it'll work fine).

Back