system is slowing down after installations

zoranb

Registered
What is the reason that my system speed is slowing down when i install more applications? For example, when i make a fresh installation of the OS (Leopard on a G5) Safari is very fast not only in browsing but in opening etc. Then i begin to install Adobe CS2 or the major system software update, about 110 fonts. After all this system speed is degraded... why? What can i do to make it go back to its speed before all these installations?

On a fresh install, Spotlight may be still running. It can take several hours before that completes the initial indexing of your drive - although 150 GB or less shouldn't take more than maybe 2 or 3 hours at most.

How much memory is installed in your G5?

You can also check in your Activity Monitor, which might show a process running wild. Be sure to change the drop down to show All Processes, and not just My Processes, then click the header above CPU column to sort by CPU use. Note the top two or three items.

speaking of spot light is it possible to delete/uninstall that? i did way with front row dashboard time capsole and other programs of no use to me. also would you happen to know how come my eMac wont play flash video (FLV format) but will play MPGs just fine?

Back