System Preferences deleted in OS 10.4.11

mmumpempe

Registered
I don't know how it happens, I just cannot access accidently my System Preferences application. It's nowhere on my MacBook Pro. I can't open it from the Apple Menu. Other applications are no longer accessible (Terminal, Preview,...). I could not find my Install disc (moved from europe to Canada).

Any help will be much appreciated...

Blessings,
Michel M.

I haven't used 10.4.x for a time but in 10.5.x System Preferences resides in the /Applications/ folder. Do you see it there and can you launch it? If it keeps quitting then launch the application /Applications/Utilities/Console (it is a log detailed log system application) then with that open try to launch System Preferences and see what the logs reports when it refuses to launch. This way you can trace down the problem in more detail.

SATCOMER!

Thank you so much! I was getting message (see attach) and could not access System Preferences nor exit it. I followed your instructions and, viola, the problem is gone.

You said:
".... I haven't used 10.4.x for a time but in 10.5.x System Preferences resides in the /Applications/ folder. Do you see it there and can you launch it? If it keeps quitting then launch the application /Applications/Utilities/Console (it is a log detailed log system application) then with that open try to launch System Preferences and see what the logs reports when it refuses to launch. This way you can trace down the problem in more detail...."

Attachments

• NetworkSetChange.jpg
    NetworkSetChange.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 11
Run the free scanning tool DNSChanger Removal Tool and scan to make sure you didn't authorize the Trojan floating around for the Mac.

I downloaded the DNSChanger Removal Tool and it didn't take and I couldn't find it anywhere in my files.

When I came back here I got this message in my account box (attachment). I don't understand any of it.

I went back and downloaded it again and got it in my Finder. It didn't find any virus. I do wonder what the warnings were and if they indicate anything wrong with my software.

.....goldenbill

Attachments

• WarningMacosx.jpg
    WarningMacosx.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 1
Back