System preferences gone...

Sorry I've not replied to the post, I only just received an email telling me there were replies!

Unfortunately, before I had chance to download the application posted up my mac developed a new problem where it constantly crashes! I had to reinstall OS X so I got my system preferences back that way. Sadly I have had to reinstall OS X 3 times due to crashes and keys out of order problems and my hard drive often makes horrific clicking noises.

I have to run fsck in single user mode to safely boot up without suffering to much of the clicking noises.

Anyway thanks to everyone who helped with my systems preferences problem and sorry I took so long to come back and reply!

It didn't work...

Not sure how it managed to remember the old asses after i deleted the original. Maybe it stores them somewhere other than the keychain folder? O well, I guess i need o remember to back up everything next time.

Help, im new to Mac, I had a lot of items in my trash, and the trash would not empty. To make the story short I was able to empty trash, bus now system preference is gone! I cant open any application that was in there, it keeps opening system finder instead, please help!
Its Mac OS X 10.5.7

Somehow my mother deleted the system preferences app, for it says it is incomplete or damaged. does any one have the 10.6.3 file of the app?

Not sure what the legal details are on this, but here it is anyways..... Click Here.

I suppose you would have to own Snow Leopard to run it, so I guess theres no problem with sharing; if the copy is stolen, then I guess it's their problem and not mine...

If the post is correct, that is System Preferences from OS X 10.2.6 -- several years too old for your 2008 MacBook

If your MacBook is running the original system, then you would, at the oldest, be running OS X 10.5 (Leopard), and System Preferences from Jaguar (OS X 10.2.6) can't possibly work, too old.
Your BEST bet is to tell us what system version you are running, and you may get some help in reinstalling your system, which should be successful in getting your System Preferences back into place in your Applications folder.
Finally, if you look, do you find anything named "System Preferences" in your Applications folder?

I deleted it by accident, what happened was one day I accidentally slipped somehow and moved the application to another folder without realising. Then a few days later, I came accross the application in a folder and I thought it was just an alias I had created by accident. When i emptied my recycle bin, it just took it straight away! mxplayer

Last edited:
I deleted it by accident, what happened was one day I accidentally slipped somehow and moved the application to another folder without realising. Then a few days later, I came accross the application in a folder and I thought it was just an alias I had created by accident. When i emptied my recycle bin, it just took it straight away!

What app ?

I don't think you can just "accidentally" delete the System Preferences app. It's a system-required app, and you have to jump through some hoops to even move it to another folder. You have to know something about what you are doing, even if you want to move it on purpose.
For example, you probably have to disable SIP to move it. Unless rajputaman04 is using an OS X system older than El Capitan, before SIP existed.

(A simple reinstall of your macOS system would replace System Preferences, in any case)

Back