System Prefs via command line

g4jasper

Registered
ok, so there's not a screen saver/screen effects preference pane in my system preferences window anymore, but the file for it is in the system. is there a way to change the settings for individual preference panes (screen saver) by the command line. thanx munch.

The first thing you should do is check in /System/Library/PreferencePanes/ScreenSaver.prefPane and make sure that that prefPane exists. If it's not, you've deleted it somehow. As far as I know, all the preference panes you have installed (i.e., in the PreferencePanes foldeR) are loaded dynamically when you open System Preferences. If it's not loading into the bottom part of the window (i.e., not the toolbar) something's amiss.

Alternatively, if you do have the prefpane file, you can try this. The Sys Prefs preferences are stored in /Users/gwailo/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist under the key called TB Item Identifiers as a string in the array set make sure there is a com.apple.preference.screensaver.

Example:
Code:
        <key>NSToolbar Configuration com.apple.PrefsToolbar</key>
        <dict>
                <key>TB Display Mode</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>TB Is Shown</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>TB Item Identifiers</key>
                <array>
                        <string>com.apple.prefpane.showall</string>
                        <string>NSToolbarSeparatorItem</string>
                        <string>com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate</string>
                        <string>com.apple.preference.network</string>
                        <string>com.apple.preference.energysaver</string>
                        <string>com.apple.preferences.sharing</string>
                        [b]<string>com.apple.preference.screensaver</string>[/b]
                        <string>net.sourceforge.macgpg.gpgpreferences</string>
                </array>
                <key>TB Size Mode</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
        </dict>

Putting com.apple.preference.screensaver will make the screen saver preference pane pop into the System Preferences toolbar (hopefully). Just edit the file when Sys Prefs is not running.

Dang vBulletin stripped the < and > around all the keys, string, arrays, and dicts, but you'll see where they go when you open the file yourself. I'd use pico :p.

PS This applies to OS 10.1.5 I don't know anything about Jaguar, or if this is not applicable to Jaguar; if you have Jag you'll have to poke around yourself and see.

Back