system profiler

loom001

Registered
can anyone tell me how to run system profiler? I am using Panther 10.3.1 no mac os 9 environment. Thanks in advance!

There are two ways. Go to the blue Apple in the top left corner and select "About this Mac"->When the Finder info window opens up select "More info...". Plus, you can directly go to Applications->Utilities->System Profiler.

You may want to invest in a book about OS X. OS X is a totally different animal than OS 9! I found during my transition to OS X was SO much easier because of David Pogue's The Missing Manual. They have updated it for Panther. Pouge's books and writings are very easy reading, humorous, and very informative! This is not a plug. I just really like this book.

Lastly, OS X based on BSD Unix and Unix LOVES permissions. Every file has a permission attached to it for the computer's (and you) safety. So, Apple stuck a little program file to Repair Permissions because all these older Mac developers still write for Apple (using Carbon) but are still a little shaky on permissions in OS X (Even sometimes Apple software writers themselves)! So, make it a habit to go to Applications->Utilites-Disk Utility and run Repair Permissions after every single software install and on a regular schedule. I can't stress this enough in PREVENTING future conflicts and headaches.

Also, IMHO opinion the best hard disk utility is Alsoft's DiskWarrior. This application has saved my butt right from OS X beta to Panther. Warning though, an old long standing disk utility (you can figure out who by reading numerous Mac boards... even osx.com) can ruin your OS X system! So be careful.

Yup... an old long-standing utility starting with N. A few people have had it save their systems, the majority have had it make more problems than it fixed.

I've got a book I could sell you, if you want. I got it for Hanukah, but I could have written it so I didn't use it very much.

The N-word was great for pre-Jaguar days. Kinda like when Netscape (another N-word) also was cool. Sigh, the march of progress wait for none.
But DiskWarrior is a good one.

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it. I actually have The Missing Manual, I just keep forgeting to look in it. I am actually a Windows switcher never have used OS9. Thanks again!

Back