System reinstall: iBook G4

mattcryer

Registered
When I boot up I keep getting the following message:

Application launch failure

The application "Transport Monitor" could not be launched because of a shared library error:
"8<Transport Monitor> <Transport Monitor> <HotSyncLib.PPC> <>"

The conflict seemed to occur after an IT tech at my uni ran a free virus scan app on my hard disk to allow me to sign up to the wireless network.

It affeced MS office initially, along with Palm desktop, it's hotsync facility, and printing. I can no longer install ceranin applications either.

I spoke to a tech in my apple store who reckoned it was to do with the Carbon technology used to make OS9 written applications work in OSX. He did an archive reinstall to try to fix the problem. This resolved the office conflict, but the others including that quoted above still remain. I had to leave the store before we could fully resolve the problem.

Is there a way of fixing this without doing a complete system reinstall?

If not, could you explain to me how I can back up my documents and do a full system reinstall?

I have a 60Gb external hard disk which can be used to make backups on, and have all my applications on disk should I need to do a complete re install.

My ibook came factory installed with Panther, including a Tiger upgrade disk in the box.

Hope you can help.

Many thanks,

Matt

Use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup your whole drive to the external. Then you can simply clean install Tiger (erasing the volume), install the apps you need (if you don't use it, forget about Palm Desktop) and bring back what else you need from the backup.

You won't have to use the Panther disk, just the upgrade disk of Tiger. Since there's already Tiger installed on the drive, the upgrade disk will work fine.

And tell that tech guy that since it's a clean install, you don't have any viri on the computer anyway. (And that it's a Mac.) ;)

This error message is coming from Palm Desktop. Palm Desktop and Missing Sync need to be reinstalled.

1) Uninstall Missing Sync
2) Uninstall Palm Desktop
3) Reinstall Palm Desktop
4) Install Missing Sync

Transport Monitor is a portion of iSync
You may want to try to reinstall iSync

Thanks for all the replies. I'll give it a go. Things had got a bit disorganised, so a clean install and a bit of housekeeping will be quite usefull!

Thanks.

Back