System reqs for older Apple software

applemaz

Registered
I'm trying to find a website which lists the minimum system requirements for Apple's software, including older versions.

Specifically, I have an iBook G4 1.33GHz with 768MB of RAM running 10.4.11. I need to know the highest versions of MacOS, iTunes and iPhoto that will run (without turning out to be a dog) on this hardware.

If maxxing out at 1.5GB of RAM would make the difference between being a dog and running comfortably, I'd like to know that too.

You may have to search application by application on Apple's site. They still list the minimum system requirements for each of their current and former software(s).

You can do so here (with a sample "Final Cut Pro 2" search already executed), by changing the drop-down "Archived Documents" to "Include Archive":

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&product=&q=final cut pro 2 system requirements

(without turning out to be a dog)
This may be the hard part, as it's completely subjective and would vary from person to person. Final Cut Pro 2 for an amateur who simply sequences video clips and exports a file may think it runs just fine on your machine -- for another person who needs compositing and multi-layered editing capabilities, it may not.

In other words, you're asking for an opinion, not a measurable specification, when you ask whether a piece of software "runs like a dog" or does not on any given Apple computer. "Requires a 600MHz processor" is a definite specification. "Runs fast," or "runs good," or "doesn't bog down," are all subjective and impossible to gauge -- it all depends on one's own "tolerance for pain."

I can personally vouch for that very same iBook, also with 768MB.
My wife uses this iBook for day to day stuff, web surfing emailing and managing her iPhoto library, and it runs comfortably on OS X 10.5.8.
I've contemplated maxing the ram but so far never really felt the need.
And also this iBook also runs Windows 2000 via MS virtual PC, for 1 specific windows only gardening data base my wife cannot do without.
Once loaded the app runs OK, but it takes a minute or 2 to get windows started and the app up and running.

Using the search tool suggested by ElDiabloConCaca, I found that if you stick with OS 10.4 Tiger, you can run iTunes 9.2, and iLife '08's bundled iPhoto.

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard can be run and this enables the installation and use of iLife '09's bundled iPhoto and iTunes 10.

If you have an iPad, however, you MUST be running iTunes 10.2 on Mac OS X 10.5, otherwise you cannot connect your iPad to that machine.

Maxing out the ram is not a big expense and it's one of the few options you have other than getting a newer computer. Ever look at refurb prices on gainsaver.com or other sites. If you are comfortable adding your own hds and ram they can be pretty reasonable. Over the last 10 years I've had three macs from them w/o a hiccup.

Ron

With older (PowerPC) hardware, I'd go like this:

If possible, run Mac OS X 10.5.8 with iLife '09, since that gives you the most access to newer applications, software support etc.

If possible, max out the RAM.

However: Don't spend more than 200 USD on hardware and OS software combined, because the gap between that and an older _intel_ Mac (MacBook, Mac mini) just may be too small, that newer used Mac coming with access to (at least) Mac OS X 10.6 and the latest applications if it has 1 GB of RAM (I'd go to 2 GB, though).

Back