System Size

my guess: big. probably nearly 4 times the size of a tiger install. it's got to be all 4-way 'fat' binaries (32 bit PPC, 64 bit PPC, 32 bit Intel, 64 bit Intel), which only make things bigger...

I'm guessing that it'll come on a dual-layer (~8GB) DVD instead of a single-layer (~4GB) DVD like in the past; however, I don't think the install will be THAT much bigger than Tiger's install... perhaps a gig or so more, but probably not 4 times as large.

I have been known to be wrong, though! ;)

The install disc is indeed nearly 8 GB as of now.
The install takes around the same amount of space now - with none of the upgrades probably being less than 200 mb, and with a few additional languages added to installation discs, and not excludeable from the updates, just like the included languages until now.

Compared to 4.6 GB for 10.4, under 3 GB for 10.3 and 1.x GB for 10.2 and before, and less than a CD for 9.x and before.

Thanks for all of your responses.

The reason I asked, is that alot of people may be surprised that it will not fit onto there computer because of the size constraint and may have to upgrade the computers with more memory.

I currently have a 74.41 GB IMac and still have 46.04 GB available space. I also have attached an external 76.7 GB disk drive with a partion of 29 GB to hold the current MAC OS X 10.4.10 system (I use the other 47 GB space for storage).

I'll just wait until I get the update to find out for sure.

Richard

You will be fine.
I think 512 MB will be the minimum size of RAM but that sounds like painful so 1 GB RAM, 1 GHz+ MHz, and way enough space... if you keep all localizations and add iLife and other applications, the hard drive will need some space. (But you can always use things like Delocalizer to get rid of unused languages to get the space back)

Actually, I think the last builds had the correct system requirements in them. 867 MHz doesn't make sense, so 1 GHz, 512 MHz (not really usable so realistically you need 1 GB), big enough hd (save 20 GB for OS with updates + more space for updates and other programs) should do.

Back