Tabbing not working right in Safari

When i am using safari on a web page, and i press tab to go from a text box (where you type characters) to a drop down box where you select an option from the list, it won't go to the drop down box, but merely skip it and continue on. IF a drop down box is the last ting on the page, it will not go to it, but continue to alternate between the other text boxes. This gets highly annoying sometimes. Does any one else have this problem or know how to fix it?

You can option-tab in Safari to get it to select every element, but this includes links, which you might not want.

You can also go the the Keyboard section of System Preferences, and select "All controls" at the bottom of the Keyboard Shortcuts tab. This will affect all programs.

Hope this helps.

You can turn this behavior on and off (in addition to using the option-key modifier) in the "Advanced" section of the Preferences.

It's a rather restricted preference, though: you can either tab to text fields only, or tab to every element on the page. You cannot configure it to skip a certain kind of element while not skipping others. It's either textboxes only, or everything.

I think it's a concept issue. Apple sees pulldown menus as a mouse interaction item, not a text-input item. (And I agree.) That in a web-form, they kinda belong together is an issue, and they had to decide. I'm glad they did what they did, but can understand your gripe.

Again, this is a system-wide preference. You can have OS X give menus and buttons keyboard focus if you want. It's just not set that way by default. OS X accomodates everyone here.

System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts > "In windows and dialogs, press Tab to move the keyboard focus between: All controls"

Back