Tablet?

Akkarin

Registered
I am looking for a Tablet to work with Mac OS X (10.4) - I will use it in Adobe CS 2.

Can anyone suggest a product please?

I am new to graphic design how do I know what size to get? I tried the wizard thing on the site link you listed and it is saying Intuos3 9x12 which is in my budget. But I just don't know how to judge a product I have never used yet. I really don't want what I do not need, as a beginner is this size to big?

I think a tablet is a good tool/input device to have if you want to get into graphic design. You can take advantage of the pressure sensitive tools and brushes in CS 2.

It's possible to do work without a tablet but In my case I prefer using one.
I started with a Wacom 4x5 that a friend gave me but quickly wanted something bigger and moved on to a Wacom 9x12 which I think is a good size ( not too big for a beginner, The drawing area is about the size of a horizontal A4 paper).

You also have to learn to use the tablet. I had a hard time at first but after some practice I got comfortable using it.

Akkarin said:
I am new to graphic design how do I know what size to get? I tried the wizard thing on the site link you listed and it is saying Intuos3 9x12 which is in my budget. But I just don't know how to judge a product I have never used yet. I really don't want what I do not need, as a beginner is this size to big?
Get the biggest one you can afford and have the space for. I've got the Intuos 3 4x5 because that's all I have the space for in my work area. These things take up a LOT of desk space.

The 4x5 tablet area is big enough for me but you'll need to use their not-very-good mouse at times if you've got the tablet where your normal mouse would be. Then, you'll really appreciate the larger tablet area.

Wacom all the way.

Get a 6x8, not too small but not too big. If your just starting out, don't go blow all of your money on a Wacom Intuos, just start off with a Wacom Graphire which is pretty good value for money in terms of what it can do - then upgrade later if need be. Remember you can always sell it somehow.

Most of all it depends on what you will be doing with it - if you're doing mainly photoshop work and need pressure sensitivity, well maybe spend the big extra and get the Intuos, but still the graphire will do the work. If you're doing vector work say in illustrator, any old tablet will do pratically - vector work doesn't really rely on pressure sensitivity.

Basically the sizes are just what you prefer. As an analogy to relate to, if you enjoy using your shoulder/arm in a large swooping-manner when drawing on paper; perhaps get a bigger size tablet. Though if you just like using just your lower arm and hand/wrist, just get a 6x8. It can be handy having a big size tablet, but remember they all map 1:1 on the tablet to the computer's screen. So it's like having a screen that you draw on which is your tablet and your monitor.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Back