Talking to An Exchange Server - Why Not Me?

soetes

Registered
I'm trying to connect to an Exchange server where an account has been set up for me, but neither Mail 2.0.2 nor Entourage 10.1.4 will connect. I'm running OS 10.4.2

When I set up the account in Mail, it tests the connection and immediately generates the error: "The Exchange server “mail.netcomm.com.au” is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the “Incoming Mail Server” field. If it still doesn’t respond, the server might be temporarily unavailable."

Well, I have checked my network connection, I have entered the correct information and the server is not unavailable.

Entourage generates the error: "An error occurred on the IMAP server. A connection failure has occurred. Error: -23016"

I have opened TCP port 143 and I can browse to the Exchange server, so why won't either of these mail clients connect?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Believe it or not, Mail 2.0 is much more compatible with Exchange than Entourage 10.1. You need to know your MS network domain name, your user name, and password. Setup a new account in Mail as an Exchange account. Mail has a wizard that will take you through the process. If your firm uses Active Directory or LDAP, then you can setup then using the Directory Access utility.

Under certain circumstances, it is possible to setup your account as IMAP rather than Exchange. You will still need your Exchange settings.

Thanks for the help, ElDiabloConCaca. I tried connecting via IP address and got "The Exchange server “202.44.165.201” is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the “Incoming Mail Server” field. If it still doesn’t respond, the server might be temporarily unavailable."

Thanks, too, to MisterMe. I tried the IMAP method and got "The IMAP server “202.44.165.201” is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the “Incoming Mail Server” field. If it still doesn’t respond, the server might be temporarily unavailable."

This is s-o wierd – I can browse there with Safari in an instant, but Mail just cannot connect! It seems like a handshake problem now that we've eliminated the DNS as the culprit.

Back