tcsh dumbed down in Jaguar?

W3iRd0

Registered
Let me just put it this way, I like to tinker and have been doing so in OS X since I got it (resulting in quite a few reformats and weird problems..), and I have had most of my fun in the terminal, using the tab key to see a list of commands that started with what I had typed..

What can I do to "force" tcsh to act like it did in 10.1.x?
(That is path and command completion...)

here's some info on the history, for the path-problem I cannot help, I use bash and before I wen to jag, I backed up my /etc/profile and .bashrc...

back up you personal and systemwide profiles to safe location to retain paths you've set. that at least...also, it could be great idea to back your entire home folder, then move preferences and settings as needed...that's what I did:)

Yeah when my CD comes I'm going to "ditto -V ~/ /volumes/Hermes/" which is my 60GB firewire drive, thank goodness :)

Thanks.

Autocompletion of file names is a native function of tcsh, and has been carried over into 10.2. If you are not seeing this behavior, you should make sure that (a) you're actually running tcsh and (b) there's nothing in your .login or .tcshrc files that would be unsetting tcsh's default behaviors.

First, in Terminal, do a 'printenv SHELL' -- you should see /bin/tcsh as the answer. If not, add the command 'setenv SHELL /bin/tcsh/ to the beginning of your .login file. If you don't have a file at ~/.login, you can just create one.

If you do have /bin/tcsh as your shell (and you're currently running it -- run a simple 'ps' to see what shell you're in right this moment), try resetting some of its default behaviors:

'set addsuffix'
'set autolist'

If you're seeing better autocompletion after these, it's possible that somewhere in your login procedure these are getting unset. Look for similar statements, but beginning with 'unset', in .tcshrc or .login.

Thing is, you can't technically shut off autocomplete altogether in tcsh, because it's a native function.

For more reading, do a 'man tcshrc'.

Originally posted by billbaloney
If you don't have a file at ~/.login, you can just create one.

'set addsuffix'
'set autolist'

I followed those three steps and Autocomplete, and a list of items that start with the first few letters I typed started working! Yay! Thanks! :)

BTW, I didn't have a .login nor a .tcshrc (and I didn't add .tcshrc either, just .login).

Back