Tech Problem

Codedogg220

Registered
I've recently discovered that I have one of the recalled iBook G3 logic boards. I also discovered that the recall expired last year. Up until now, the only problem that I've had is with the battery not recieving charge while plugged in to the adapter, so I'm forced to keeping the laptop plugged in to the wall, no big problem. But now when I turn on the computer I hear a loud, rapid clicking sound coming out of the speakers. I don't know if that is something that is related to the logic board or if anyone could offer any advice on what might be the cause of such a noise. Does that sound mean that I shouldn't use my computer? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

You were told incorectly. The logic board replacement program for G3 iBooks has not expired. However, the older models are no longer directly repairable under that program. I have recently sent several iBooks that still qualify. Generally, you have to be in the serial number range, and your iBook has to be less than 3 years old. Sometimes, older models also get repaired, but on a case-by-case basis, and perhaps if they have been repaired before, Apple might repair again.

But, you are not describing a problem that would qualify. The program covers video problems - and not a weird sound at boot like you are having. I think the DC-in board (the internal power connector where your power adapter attaches) is suspicious, and probably needs to be replaced.

Back