Tekram SCSI Adapter (DC-315H) Issue (How do I get OSX to recognize it???)

Dave_A

Registered
Well, I got a Tekram DC-315H SCSI adapter to hook up an old scanner to my PowerMac G4 (2x866mhz)...

The adapter is supported on OLD MacOS by Tekram, and also works with *BSD, so I thought 'This should work with OSX'...

The problem is that OSX does not recognize the adapter (System Profiler shows an unrecognized PCI card)...

Has anyone managed to get Tekram SCSI adapters (any models) working on OSX???

Note: I do not want an Adaptec SCSI card, so please don't reccommend that. I just need to hook up one UMAX scanner to a 25-pin external SCSI port. Adaptec costs too much...

Have you tried contacting Tekram about drivers? The MacOS 9 drivers are going to be useless here, unless you forget about using OS X, Looks like Tekram is not going to provide OS X drivers for this old card, unfortunately. Adaptec is not the only SCSI card around, but maybe the simplest to get going under OS X. Time to move to replace your scanner. Either choice means spending some dollars, I guess.

Well, I found out that the OS9 drivers are useless...

What's wierd is that unless Apple cut driver support, this card is allready supported by the UNIX side of OSX, so it *should* be supported by OSX...

Apparently not... I wonder if anyone is going to release their own drivers, or will OSX remain like previous MacOS versions (where Apple & 'preferred' vendors are the only ones whos stuff works)...

Also, does anyone know where I can find a list of supported SCSI cards (or is Apple 'ignoring' SCSI to push people into Firewire?)... Right now, the only companies I *KNOW* are supported are Adaptec and Initio...

Tekram has downloads for FreeBSD, NetBSD, and LINUX. One of these can probably be re-compiled to run under Unix (or Darwin) for use under OS X. Even then, you would need to program a link to the OS X UI for your scanner to to be recognized and then work. There may be more info on one of the OS X developer sites. Final thought: This card has no real updates for any platform for at least 2 years, appears to be no more support even from the original supplier, Why should Apple provide built-in support for obsolete hardware, except to provide for add-in support from 3rd party developers such as yourself. All you can do is contact the manufacturer (Tekram) with your needs. Apple is not alone here. Even Macrosoft has their preferred vendors, just look at the driver mess with WinXP and some 'minor' 3rd party developers (no, don't do that, too scary)

Back