Test your real-world machine speed...

Ricky

Registered
First, get SpeedX from versiontracker. I have provided a link... The download is small.

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=12561&db=mac

Next, run the app with light processor load or no processor load apps in OS X, and with 10 billion instructions. The Finder can be the only app that's running, if you wish... When I did my tests I was running Fire and the Finder, and of course, SpeedX. My results...

Typical instructions: 331.9 MIPS
Fast Integer instructions: 700.9 MIPS

iMac DV G3 400 MHz

Run all the tests you can and post your results. :) Make sure to post your machine if it's not in your sig. Have fun, all!

I scored:

Typical Instructions: 527.9
Fast Interger Instructions: 2.0 BIPS

I was running IE and iChat when I ran it though, so I might be able to get a higher score.

Ricky: There is no "MIPS" under Fast Interger Instructions.

Typical Instructions: 353.6 MIPS
Fast Integer Instructions: 775.2 MIPS

G4 400MHz AGP with 512MB of RAM

PowerMac G4 733 Mac OS 10.1.5

10 Billion Instructions

Typical Instrustion=556.1 MIPS
Fast Integer Instructions=2.1 BIPS

PowerMac G4 400 MHz Gigabit Ethernet overclocked to 500 MHz@2.1v with L2 cache running at 2:1 (250 MHz):

Typical Instructions: 468.8 MIPS
Fast Integer Instructions: 1.0 BIPS

The PPC7400 seems to be slower on fast integer instructions, but faster on typical instructions, than newer revisions of the G4 for some reason.

But, this little application doesn't support AltiVec, so I like this app better. It draws a fractal and shows the average speed it was drawn on in the window title bar. My G4 archieves 1.6496 GigaFlops (billion floating point operations per second) on the initial calculation when you start up the application, and up to 2 GigaFlops with several other configurations. Apple says the 500 MHz G4's peak performance is 3.7 GigaFlops.
This is also a great utility to measure processor temperature level and stability. Every time I overclock a machine, I leave it calculating an extremely large fractal overnight and see if it has crashed the next day or not.
When I overclocked my own G4, I also hooked a thermometer on the heatsink right over the processor to measure temperature. It was right above room temperature when I was doing normal tasks like email reading, internet surfing etc, and peaked at around 40°C when calculating fractals.
Ah, isn't it nice to have a PPC? :D

iBook 500, 128 MB RAM.

Typical Instructions: 433,2 MIPS
Fast Integer Instructions: 924,5 MIPS

...with chimera and launchbar running.

Ohh this is fun! ;)

Typical: 508.5
Fast-Int: 1.9

eMac w/128 mb of ram. Only Finder and Navigator were running.

Interesting. So it appears that a G4 running at the same clock speed as a G3 is actually a mite slower without the AlitVec enabled.

Keep 'em coming, guys! :D

Typical instructions set: 597.6 MIPS
Fast Integer Instructions: 2.2 BIPS

I've got the fastest Mac around :p

iMac/800/384/6C115

Thats with nothing but the Finder open.

:D

Oh dear, oh dear....

Typical: 262.5 MIPS
Integer: 557.1 MIPS

My poor old 300mhz G3 (320mb)

Ask me again when I've splashed some cash on the new power Mac's hopefully coming soon.

I have the money to spend, don't let me down Apple!

Back